Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2012 vs 2014 WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2012-vs-2014-wk2-58469.html)

Llemaitr 04-15-2013 06:59 PM

2012 vs 2014 WK2

Hi Everyone - This is my first post but I have been reading others here for quite some time.

I just traded in my Silver 2012 WK2 Limited for a Billet Silver 2014 Limited and I wanted to share my thoughts on the upgrade.

What I lost: Xenon headlamps, rain sensing wipers, and panorama sunroof.

What I gained: 8.4inch screen, LCD Speedometer, 20 inch wheels, heated steering wheel, Dual exhaust (just looks better), and 8 speed transmission. New Styling

Up until the day I picked up my new ride I was having second thoughts, I just wasn't sold on the new front end and was concerned about the items I was losing. Fast forward a week and I could not be happier with my decision. The 8 speed makes this a completely different ride. My MPG have actually dipped because I am constantly driving this thing in Sport (Which actually makes a notable difference) or with the paddle shifters. The transmission is very smooth and I feel as if I have a completely different engine under the hood. The 20 inch wheels make an impact in handling as well, bumps are transferred much more easily but it's a worthwhile trade off for the gains in handling. Now to the new screens, I like them, they give the Jeep a much more luxurious feel but they would not be enough on their own to make me execute on this trade. I was hesitant to lose the "wood" trim from my 2012 for the black "wood" trim on the 2014 but after a week I am getting used to it, this thing is sleek and everyone that gets in it says the same...sleek. Without a doubt, what I miss most is the xenon headlamps, what a drastic difference. I could have waited for a billet silver with the LUX 2 package but this deal was too good to pass up and I got most of what I wanted.

In short, before I picked up the 2014 I thought I might regret the change. Now, I can assure you I would never consider going back to the 2012. And for those concerned about the new front end....make the jump the 2014 and days later you'll be in love and your concerns will have dissipated.

For context, I traded in my Lease with 14 months left in on the new one. 1st payment only and my monthly payment dropped by $1. All in all, very happy with my decision. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the jump, happy to help.

bill_de 04-15-2013 07:41 PM

Re: 2012 vs 2014 WK2

Good to hear that YOU are happy with your decision. Nice report on the differences.

Congratulations.

jeepinAl 04-15-2013 07:52 PM

Congrats. I assume you had/ have the V6 (dual exhaust reference)? Please post some pics, haven't seen any members with a Billet Limited.

loveracing1988 04-15-2013 08:37 PM

If all else fails you could always get an aftermarket kit to add HID's to it, I know the salesman told me flat out that the halogens suck in the limited and laredo, and I agreed with him after about a minute of night driving...

Llemaitr 04-16-2013 01:50 PM

Yep - I went from V6 to V6 so I gained the dual exhaust but as I said before the change is dramatic.

I would consider the HID but it being a lease it is probably to expensive and it seems like no one has done it yet.

I also wanted to mention that I got the Uconnect app set up today and that's pretty cool. I lock my keys in the car more than anyone I know so this will be huge!

ChrisUCF99 04-17-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llemaitr (Post 805050)
Yep - I went from V6 to V6 so I gained the dual exhaust but as I said before the change is dramatic.

I would consider the HID but it being a lease it is probably to expensive and it seems like no one has done it yet.

I also wanted to mention that I got the Uconnect app set up today and that's pretty cool. I lock my keys in the car more than anyone I know so this will be huge!

How do you lock your keys inside the Jeep? Since its push start I never even take the keys out of my pocket to begin with. However, I have tried to lock the keys in the Jeep just to see if I could and it would never lock if the keys were inside.

bill_de 04-17-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisUCF99 (Post 805872)
How do you lock your keys inside the Jeep? Since its push start I never even take the keys out of my pocket to begin with. However, I have tried to lock the keys in the Jeep just to see if I could and it would never lock if the keys were inside.

You didn't try hard enough. According to the OM you can do it if you try 3 or 4 times within a certain time frame.

---

Llemaitr 04-18-2013 07:53 PM

Locked them in the jeep twice- my 2012 had a mind of its own. Once I threw a backpack with the keys in it in the trunk shut the trunk and heard all of the doors lock. Second time a similar scenario but with the drivers side door. I can't explain why or how but it locked itself on its own.

gcbimmer 04-18-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llemaitr (Post 805050)

When you say the change is dramatic are you talking acceleration or MPG's or what?

Llemaitr 04-19-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcbimmer (Post 806974)
When you say the change is dramatic are you talking acceleration or MPG's or what?

Acceleration and smoothness. I am not sure if the car is faster, I have no means of telling but I can assure you it feels much faster and more refined. I never catch myself on the wrong end of a gear hoping to get out of the way. Also the way the shift points in the sport mode are so much better than the previous model.

Specx 04-19-2013 09:24 PM

Nice write up and comparisons. Initially I wasn't feeling the front, but now it has grown on me and does look much better in person. The interior changes are what I love the most. It feels much more upscale and they integrated the screen very well unlike in the previous models.

gcbimmer 04-19-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 807651)
Nice write up and comparisons. Initially I wasn't feeling the front, but now it has grown on me and does look much better in person. The interior changes are what I love the most. It feels much more upscale and they integrated the screen very well unlike in the previous models.

How are you liking the Hemi?