Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Ventilated seat opinions/info (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/ventilated-seat-opinions-info-58503.html)

gcbimmer 04-16-2013 11:29 AM

Ventilated seat opinions/info

Looking for info and on the ventilated seats.
1) Do they actually keep you cool?
2) Are they as comfortable as the standard leather seats on the 2014 Limited?
3) Are they as durable as the standard being that they are perforated?

lckysevn77 04-16-2013 11:40 AM

Re: Ventilated seat opinions/info

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcbimmer (Post 804955)
Looking for info and on the ventilated seats.
1) Do they actually keep you cool?
2) Are they as comfortable as the standard leather seats on the 2014 Limited?
3) Are they as durable as the standard being that they are perforated?

I just picked my Overland up last night and I've only driven 22 miles, but after extensive test driving between both models I can say:

1) Yes they do a good job of keeping the seat cool
2) To me, the perforated leather seats are actually more comfortable than the leather in the Limited. The standard Limited leather feels a bit hard compared to the soft Nappa leather of the Limited with LUX & Overland. I also didn't like the gathered look of the standard Limited leather.
3) Leather seems excellent quality, but only time will tell how it will hold up.

gcbimmer 04-18-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lckysevn77 (Post 804969)
I just picked my Overland up last night and I've only driven 22 miles, but after extensive test driving between both models I can say:

1) Yes they do a good job of keeping the seat cool
2) To me, the perforated leather seats are actually more comfortable than the leather in the Limited. The standard Limited leather feels a bit hard compared to the soft Nappa leather of the Limited with LUX & Overland. I also didn't like the gathered look of the standard Limited leather.
3) Leather seems excellent quality, but only time will tell how it will hold up.

Thanks...anyone else have any experience?

jgc4ever 04-18-2013 09:41 AM

I have the ventilated seats on my 2012 Overland and agree with everything lckysvn77 said. No wear after a year and a half of ownership.

countrygirl 04-18-2013 10:13 AM

I've experienced a number of ventilated seats in various vehicles, so I'll provide some perspective of my experience.

According to the manual, the vented seats in the GC simply circulate the air already present in the cabin, meaning they don't actually push cooled air through them. I was concerned about this because I sold an Infiniti QX56 to buy the GC and I found the cooled seats in the QX very underwhelming. But I live in CA where temps are frequently around 100 deg or higher.

Best to worst cooled seats I've had so far:

1. husband's Chevy silverado. Wow, these seats are like sitting on an ice pack. Niiiice.
2. Lexus GS430, worked very well
3. 2014 Jeep GC
4. 2012 Infiniti QX56 (had to keep looking at the knob to verify they were even on)

We've never had any problems with the perforated seats in any of these vehicles.

Like most have commented here, I HATE having to turn the seats on/off via the Uconnect screen. It desperately needs a knob or button.

Truck11 04-18-2013 10:46 AM

They are not 'cooled' seats, just ventilated. They do work well in keeping your butt cooler though.
I have already had the driver seat cushion replaced due to side bolster cracking. Nothing to do with the actual ventilation part of the seat though.

Jim_in_PA 04-18-2013 10:48 AM

This is a feature I never had before and chuckled about at first...but after using it during travel to Florida and back shortly after taking delivery of my Summit last summer, I'm a believer. The moving air really enhances comfort, not just to deal with "hot" but I find it also reduces fatigue from sitting a long time.

No issues with seat quality on my Jeep.

WVSpelunker 04-18-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 806498)
This is a feature I never had before and chuckled about at first...

^^^ I did this with several things. I asked who in the world would need a vented seat and heated steering wheel? Now I find that I use the ventred seats regularly since I have a black car and black interior that sits in the sun the last two hours of work. Haven't had experience with other cars, but the seats are comfortable and the vented seats are nice on warm days. I wear a lot of performance shirts/polos, so the air flow feels good even around the lower back.

ms.annthrope 04-18-2013 02:25 PM

I had this feature on my Ram Laramie as well--these are not air conditioned or cooled, just ventilated. The fan SUCKS air down from the seat as opposed to BLOWING air up your crack. Would it not make more sense that if Ram/Jeep won't connect the a/c duct to blow cold air up the butt to at least blow cabin air up ot better cool the lower extremities? Or do the rocket scientists feel tha SUCKING air down and away is better to mitigate swamp azz? :rolleyes:

It's alright----it keeps the seat a bit cooler in summer nad reduces some stickiness---better than nothing at all.

It's like the heated seats. Takes forever and only warms your butt. I've ridden in my friend's BMW and that cooks your butt like a pound of bacon. You'd be singin "chestnuts roasting over an open fire" in five minutes. :lol:

THe heated steering wheel is pretty darn good.

Jim_in_PA 04-18-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVSpelunker (Post 806508)
^^^ I did this with several things. I asked who in the world would need a vented seat and heated steering wheel? Now I find that I use the ventred seats regularly since I have a black car and black interior that sits in the sun the last two hours of work. Haven't had experience with other cars, but the seats are comfortable and the vented seats are nice on warm days. I wear a lot of performance shirts/polos, so the air flow feels good even around the lower back.

Oh, the heated wheel is the bee's knees...'never had it before...'never will have another vehicle without it. Aside from the obvious, the warmth feels really good on someone who has finger joints like mine.

BobsWK2 04-18-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.annthrope (Post 806669)

It's like the heated seats. Takes forever and only warms your butt. I've ridden in my friend's BMW and that cooks your butt like a pound of bacon. You'd be singin "chestnuts roasting over an open fire" in five minutes. :lol:

At least the ventilated front seats work in the GC. The ones in the BMW X5's are awful. And they charge a kings ransom for them.

f1anatic 04-18-2013 09:38 PM

Well on most cars there are A/C ducts leading underneath the front seats. And presumably those blow cold air which is sucked by fans to cool your butt. I think having actual flexible duct-work (rubber hosing) might complicate things too much than it's worth.