Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2012 WK2 stutter (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2012-wk2-stutter-58515.html)

nathantw 04-16-2013 03:09 PM

2012 WK2 stutter

My 2012 Overland Summit V8 had always been a great vehicle, but when going from around 58-65mph I always had a hesitation or stutter when going up a hill that I experienced since day 1 (there was 41 miles on the car when I purchased it). It felt as though the vehicle was in between gears or not enough fuel was going to the engine. It was a wierd feeling.

Yesterday I got a 32k mile tune up and according to my repair guy (not a Jeep dealer repair but a Jeep oriented repair facility) the VIN is now wirelessly transmitted to Chrysler and the appropriate fixes are uploaded to the car. I thought that was a cool technology but didn't think anything of it.

I drove on the freeway and that stutter was gone. I spent the rest of the trip trying to duplicate the stutter. This morning I tried again and I didn't feel it. The shift points seem to kick in faster. Hopefully I'm not dreaming this (wishful thinking). I'll test some more and hope it doesn't have it any longer.

Now the vehicle is even more enjoyable to drive since it seems a little "speedier." It does seem pretty easy to get up and over speed. So, I guess if your vehicle has a stutter it might be beneficial to get a software update.

MikeON 04-17-2013 06:51 AM

Re: 2012 WK2 stutter

Thanks for posting that. It sounds like the same issue that has been frequently called "shudder'. My 2012 5.7 has it big time and several visits to the dealer have not helped. My friends 2011 5.7 doesn't have the problem at all, so it must be kind of random.

nathantw 04-17-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeON (Post 805575)
Thanks for posting that. It sounds like the same issue that has been frequently called "shudder'. My 2012 5.7 has it big time and several visits to the dealer have not helped. My friends 2011 5.7 doesn't have the problem at all, so it must be kind of random.

Ah yes, shudder. I knew there was a different word to describe it. I'm curious why there were so many visits to the dealer and they couldn't fix it? Could be that Jeep finally found the "problem" and a new update is out there.

I thought I detected the shudder yesterday but the moment it started the car shifted gears and it was gone. That was definitely something that didn't happen before.

berk483 04-17-2013 09:51 AM

If I really try I can get mine to do it, but driving in Sport mode and switching to 5 as the highest gear pretty much eliminates it (off-highway). However if I drive in Auto I can still feel it sometimes. It's almost like the threshold for down shifting/disabling MDS is too high and the computer doesn't know what to do. A simple program change would probably be all that is needed...now if there was only a way to find out if you actually had a reflash that came with new mapping.

mikoz 06-04-2013 11:29 PM

Hi,

I have this exact problem, too, I believe in my 2012 V8. When I accelerate from 30 or 40mph hard the car seems to shudder 3 times before downshifting and taking off. It doesn't do it every time and I can't figure out a specific trigger for it, even if I get to happen once and then try to do the same exact thing on the same road just a few seconds later it may not happen.
I took it into the dealer yesterday and I'm waiting for them to report anything. I suspect they will just say it's normal... it really is not normal.

Any advice you can give? e.g. any TSBs or does the issue go by another name that may be more recognizable to the dealer (I have a feeling words like shudder are just filtered out at the dealership as "not important").

mikoz 06-05-2013 06:18 PM

Dealer did a re-program and the problem seems to be gone, he said there was a pending issue. So far, so good, it shifts harder (which is what I wanted) and more predictably and there's no shudder when going from approx 30 or 40 under hard acceleration.