Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   what size rim for a DD? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/what-size-rim-for-a-dd-58563.html)

paroxysym 04-17-2013 07:50 AM

what size rim for a DD?

so im in the process of lowering my jeep back down to a stock height, maybe slightly taller. im removing my BB and running some stiffer XK coils, along with getting rid of anything thats lift related- swaybar links, 32s, etc.

so as im doing this i want to get a better rid from her and i know tires and rims play a sizeable role in handling and ride comfort. im currently running am 18" Sahara JK rim with a set of 32" HT tires. i like the ride and it handles decently, but ive found a deal on some 17" COD moabs that would look killer. im also partial to the 20" reps.

so what would you run if this was a DD- no ambition to take her off road, gravel parking lot or a field may be all she sees as far anything off pavement...

Lucas J 04-18-2013 06:57 AM

Moabs and a nice set BFG AT's. that will give you the look you want and the ride quality.

paroxysym 04-18-2013 07:40 AM

Re: what size rim for a DD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas J (Post 806379)
Moabs and a nice set BFG AT's. that will give you the look you want and the ride quality.

BFG ATs suck ass..

Lucas J 04-18-2013 09:46 AM

Love em. Been running them for years and never had a problem. They last forever.

bobharly 04-21-2013 01:18 AM

Well, if you are not going off road the real question is do you want a plush ride that soaks up bumps and pot holes all day? Or a sportier street look with better performance? I have jk 18" wrapped in 255/55's and find them to be a good compromise between comfort and performance. If I had the money, I'd get 20" rims and go to a 45 series tire, although I'd have to watch out for curbs and pot holes which seem to find me when I least expect them. (I just ran over a curb today! No damage since I have plenty of side wall) I think 17" rims are ideal if you want to off road or at least have the look. You should do a search on those Moab rims though, because you may need a spacer to mount them. I'm not sure they will clear the front caliper. But yes, they would look good. I"m not sure what the COD rims look like, but I'm guessing they are black???

paroxysym 04-22-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobharly (Post 808393)
Well, if you are not going off road the real question is do you want a plush ride that soaks up bumps and pot holes all day? Or a sportier street look with better performance? I have jk 18" wrapped in 255/55's and find them to be a good compromise between comfort and performance. If I had the money, I'd get 20" rims and go to a 45 series tire, although I'd have to watch out for curbs and pot holes which seem to find me when I least expect them. (I just ran over a curb today! No damage since I have plenty of side wall) I think 17" rims are ideal if you want to off road or at least have the look. You should do a search on those Moab rims though, because you may need a spacer to mount them. I'm not sure they will clear the front caliper. But yes, they would look good. I"m not sure what the COD rims look like, but I'm guessing they are black???

yes the COD moabs are black. i ran moabs before with a wheel spacer and i too like the look of a thicker sidewall to soak up the potholes and take a curb from time to time. the reason i kind of dig the 18s is they clear the caliper perfectly, and they fill the wheel well pretty well with the right size tire. its such a tough choice.

ALPINEST4RS 04-22-2013 08:39 AM

20in reps with 255/50's! Gives you plenty of sidewall and a real nice ride. They are also taller than 275/45 by a margin.. I got nitto 420's on mine and live in the boonies. I wouldn't go anything further than that though. I'm sure you can get a decent 255/50, but remember its a 20in rim so tire choice will be alot more scarce than a 18inch.