Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Rain Sense Windshield Interface (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rain-sense-windshield-interface-58594.html)

BigT 04-17-2013 04:56 PM

Rain Sense Windshield Interface

I have been through all posts here re the problems encountered when replacing a screen, but there is no definite conclusions to draw. The problem manifests that when starting the engine, the wipers if left in Rain Sensitive Made, give one wipe. Jeep service advisor confirms this is an indication of a fault or error.

The replacement windshield came with the screen interface piece attached. It is like a small round plastic piece that sticks to the screen, and accepts the sensor piece that forms part of the mirror assembly. This interface had sign of a small air bubble under it. It was thought to be the problem, so new interface part obtained, replaced. It is difficult to fit, the adhesive on it (like a double sided tape) is very thick, and the new one has more visible bubbles than the one originally fitted to the replacement screen. (Screen fitter doing the handy work, but he is pretty good, It looked like it was never going to give a perfect clear adhesion from the start)

Wipers still give one wipe at start up, and do not reliably trigger wiping action under rain conditions. It's hard to imagine a small air bubble under the window sensor could cause this.

2nd New screen ordered now, replacing the whole thing, have asked for it tested for rain sensing compliance before it goes in. IE someone tests the screen is to spec to operate with the sensor. Fair enough question I thought, apparently no can do. So if the replacement screen manufacturer is using the same screen interface pieces that I saw as the part to affix and make like an OEM screen so it will accept the sensor, but cant test they operate accordingly, then it is just a case of ongoing disaster. The piece is marked suitable for Jeep GC and Subaru, must have same sensor.

Does anyone have any input as to the one wipe error and if the slightest imperfection under the adhesive window sensor interface piece could cause the problem? I think there maybe a dump of dodgy sensor interface parts in Australia, and this is exposing that anything less than perfect adhesion to the screen will give you big problems

Suther 04-17-2013 08:50 PM

I've heard that there is sensor calibration needed to assure proper functioning. At least that's the case in Germany. Know that because it takes some weeks to get the necessary equipment to the garage (not everybody has it).

Ask the technicians about calibration (the glass replacement guy probably doesn't know about it).

BigT 04-19-2013 05:28 PM

Re: Rain Sense Windshield Interface

New Screen in, same problem. Now going in to have the magical laptop plugged in.... What a crock. It's a sad day when you can't get a simple job like a replacement windshield done......there will be an answer

BigT 04-20-2013 09:24 PM

Has anybody overcome this one wipe at start up before? :rolleyes:

WKYeti 04-20-2013 09:31 PM

Mine has always done it. I guess I never gave much thought to it, or cared.

BigT 04-21-2013 09:25 AM

It definitely is not right, each time you start the car the wipers scrape against a dry windshield.....really. I think it's more a case of how unlucky to have to replace a screen, and what everyone has to look forward to if they do.

There is someone who knows, and I'm soon to know...

jacko15 04-21-2013 11:35 AM

Don't particularly care for the rain sense wipers. I have that function turned off. They just don't run in a manner I like in light rain. I know many people can't live without them, but they're just not for me, personal preference.

wap2012 04-22-2013 11:45 PM

I also find the rain sense wipers useless. They don't seem to sense the right speed or amount of rain. I think its just a gimmick. If I speed up of course they wipers speed up as well but then when I slow down or at a stop it can be raining hard and the wipers are slow... They just don't seem to sense different rain variations.

BigT 05-26-2013 09:52 PM

Update - Now have Windshield # 4 in place, it is a genuine Mopar, Problem still exists. Back to Jeep now, who I bet are going to find some reset mechanism for the sensor.

Suther 05-27-2013 12:35 PM

Good Luck and keep us updated. They "calibrated" my sensor, but that wasn't successful proved by the rain the next day.

I found that some rain sensors need to replace the part that makes the connection to the windscreen. That is one use only. Apparently, it is crucial that this connection is dust and bubble free because the refraction has to be within certain limits to allow the sensor's calibration.

I don't know if that applies to the Jeep sensor as well, but might be a hint. My service department wants to get in contact with corporate, because they don't know 'sigh'.

emsrescue 05-28-2013 11:29 AM

I had the same problem and at night the sensor will not keep up with the rain at all, I had to switch to manual.

BigT 05-28-2013 08:04 PM

OK,

The resolution was a Full Vehicle Configuration. There was little detail as to what the scope of this is, but my guess is it is a run through of all the pages of parameters and a value set against them and saved.

It looks like a software bug....