Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Odd AC blower control problem? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/odd-ac-blower-control-problem-58621.html)

wkearney99 04-18-2013 04:13 AM

Odd AC blower control problem?

I've got an '06 Limited (with the automatic climate control option). The blower control has gone haywire. It won't turn off. When I turn it to the off position it's acting like it's in the 'Hi Auto' position. But when I turn it to the manual range it only runs at one speed (sounds like medium).

Off -acts like Auto-Hi
Auto-Hi seems to work
Auto-Lo acts like Auto-Hi
Manual-Lo through Manual-Hi sounds like the fan is in a medium speed.

I've had to replace the fan speed module in the past. The automatic climate controls use a module for this instead of the resistor used by the manual controls. But I only had to replace it when the blower stopped entirely.

The difference this time is turning the blower control to off does not work, the fan still turns.

Anyone else run into this problem and fixed it?

wkearney99 11-20-2013 06:57 AM

Re: Odd AC blower control problem?

I keep having this problem. It randomly kills the module. I'm on my fourth aftermarket one. Warranties are great and all, but I'm tired of replacing the same damned thing over and over.

ahamay115 11-20-2013 07:20 AM

I have been experiencing erratic issues with my auto hvac as well in my 06 Overland.

Link: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/hvac-...ork-67106.html

I finally broke down and bought the blower module, and we'll see if that makes any difference. I order a factory one, it appears that it has been updated some since 06 so we'll see if anything is different when it arrives. Of course, this entire week it has been working flawlessly!

Do you think it could have something to do with the actual controls, in the dash?

Keep us posted on your findings!

-Chris

wkearney99 11-20-2013 07:28 AM

No, it's the module. It goes out and the blower controls get all screwy. Can't set the speed properly AT ALL, nor turn it off. Replace the module and the problem goes away. No idea why they keep crapping out.

Frango100 11-20-2013 05:22 PM

Could be that the blowermotor is drawing too much current, frying the new controller over time. Did you check if the blowermotor turns freely?

wkearney99 11-20-2013 09:02 PM

Hmmm, well, it's spinning, in that it's running constantly when the ignition's on. Is there an easy way in to the fan cage to give it a manual spin?

lynngrim 06-10-2014 11:53 AM

WK,
Have you resolved the problem with your blower motor? I am having the same problem with blower motor modules -- NAPA/Eichlin modules last less than one week -- and I need to try something that will last.

wkearney99 06-10-2014 12:00 PM

I replaced both the module AND the blower fan. It's only been a few months but thus far hasn't failed again. I bought this OEM blower with wheel motor.

Which cost me $106 back this past January, it's even less now... :mad:

lynngrim 06-10-2014 01:18 PM

Thanks

lynngrim 07-30-2014 04:24 PM

2006 GC Limited with Automatic Climate Control
I had the same problem and after replacing many blower control modules (some bad-out-of-box) I replaced the module and the blower at the same time.
That was a couple weeks ago and still working.
The blower turned smoothly by hand, and the current draw was very close to the draw of the new blower, so I did not at first think it was the blower. None of the wiring or connectors showed any sign of overheating.