Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   V6 at Altitude (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/v6-at-altitude-58628.html)

Mashie 04-18-2013 09:43 AM

V6 at Altitude

Hey everyone, Please so not turn this into a V6 vs V8 thread, that is absolutely not my intention. I am considering trading my 2011 Overland in for a 2014 and one of the decisions I am struggling with is should I move over to the V6 from the V8.

My primary reason is the better gas mileage. I drive almost entirely in the city and the V8 gas mileage is pretty pitiful (I knew that when I purchased it).

My questions is really for people that live in high altitude, like here in Denver, how does the V6 do at altitude and on the drive up in the mountains? Does is struggle accelerating past cars while going up and over Vail or Loveland pass for example?

I like the power of the V8 and I think for in the city the V6 will be just fine but I am really curious how it does up in the mountains.

Thanks
Mashie

DurangoZJ 04-18-2013 10:42 AM

I have had no problems heading up I70 to the mountains. Eisenhower eastbound and Vail pass eastbound its definitely working hard but holds the speed limit and then some just fine.

padgett 04-18-2013 12:00 PM

Re: V6 at Altitude

Since the Overland is the heaviest WK2, I would suggest trying one before deciding. There is over an 800 pound difference between the lightest and the heaviest and can make quite a difference in performance.

ColoradoJeep 04-18-2013 12:42 PM

Have a 2012 GC LTD V6 and have been all over mountains in the West -- Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming. Tough mountain passes like Vail Pass and Kenosha Pass are NO PROBLEM for this V6 even with a heavy cargo load.

papote 04-18-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 806455)
My primary reason is the better gas mileage. I drive almost entirely in the city and the V8 gas mileage is pretty pitiful (I knew that when I purchased it).

Thanks
Mashie

I will soon, hopefully, be ordering a 2014 Overland and I am debating V6 or V8. I will be replacing a 2002 Montero sport with a 3.5 liter v6 that is horrible in gas. Like 14 city and 20 highway if I'm not mistaken. I am in altitude too in about 3,800 feet. Not mile high but enough.

I would like to know what is your mpg with the hemi driving all city? Do you go by the computer or do you calculate it old school, how many gallons in the tank and how many miles did you drive? Have you taken any road trips of significant distance to get an idea on how the hemi highway mpg was? Any modifications or completely stock?

I too do not want this to be about V6 vs V8 I just want to get more information about the mpg of the hemi since all other discussions turned into the V6 vs V8 wars.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Jamesla30 04-18-2013 03:27 PM

If you really want the best vehicle for altitude get the CRD...many of us in Denver are going this route.

Temerarius 04-18-2013 03:52 PM

Clearly the new V6 is far superior to the one I have in my 09.

That gutless pile of hell is usually in 3rd and pegged at around 4k going up the passes between here and in Montana.

A big reason I'm going to the CRD as well.

Mashie 04-18-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papote (Post 806645)
I will soon, hopefully, be ordering a 2014 Overland and I am debating V6 or V8. I will be replacing a 2002 Montero sport with a 3.5 liter v6 that is horrible in gas. Like 14 city and 20 highway if I'm not mistaken. I am in altitude too in about 3,800 feet. Not mile high but enough.

I would like to know what is your mpg with the hemi driving all city? Do you go by the computer or do you calculate it old school, how many gallons in the tank and how many miles did you drive? Have you taken any road trips of significant distance to get an idea on how the hemi highway mpg was? Any modifications or completely stock?

I too do not want this to be about V6 vs V8 I just want to get more information about the mpg of the hemi since all other discussions turned into the V6 vs V8 wars.
Thanks in advance for the info.

I am just using what is on the Evic (too lazy to do measure it the old fashioned way). For my in-city driving I have been getting between 13.5 and 14.0 MGP. Tires are all at the right pressure and the Jeep is very well maintained.

The highest I have ever seen it was 17MPG but that was coming down out of the mountains on am empty road with my foot off the gas just coasting down :). I guess I am going to have to take a drive out to the local dealership and take one up into the foothills and see how it feels.

TitanFlyer 04-18-2013 05:54 PM

What about the diesel... it would go up those hills without thinking about it... and gets the same in city or better than the v6...

turbospartan 04-18-2013 06:38 PM

Power of the v6 is fine, what I find the as the problem is the transmission. If you leave it in cruise control at say, 70mph, and start heading up an incline... it PUNCHES IT and lunges forward once it downshifts. The engine itself is strong though, never really been a time where I thought "I need more power". The only times I notice are heading up a hill and say "I wish this could drop from 6th to 4th/5th gear, instead of 5th to 3rd"

If picking up a '14 - I would assume that this is "fixed" with an 8 speed transmission.

Clubby360 04-18-2013 06:57 PM

Test drive the crd and you will instantly forget about the petrol v6 and v8

padgett 04-18-2013 09:16 PM

Agree, a good turbo can maintain the same MAP at any altitude with a road. Feel that the only places for a supercharger are either above 10,000 feet or on a diesel.