Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Powdercoat/ high temp paint exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/powdercoat-high-temp-paint-exhaust-58631.html)

14srt 04-18-2013 10:19 AM

Powdercoat/ high temp paint exhaust

So has anyone attempted to powdercoat or high temp paint an aftermarket exhaust? I am thinking about the Borla S-type or Atak (likely s-type because i don't want to added sound or drone with the atak)

I don't want to chrome tips, so i think black would look much better/more like stock. I called a powdercoating company here in Chicago and the guy I spoke with said that high temp paint was def the way to go if i wanted the matte look.

Any opinions?

Scottina06 04-18-2013 11:24 AM

Re: Powdercoat/ high temp paint exhaust

I have the borla atak powdercoated gloss black and it doesnt last....the powdercoat goes matte real quick!

Sybersport 04-18-2013 11:37 AM

I would do matte finish for sure. I can't see how any gloss paint could stand up to repeated heat and cold cycles - at a minimum, at least in my opinion, the gloss would lose some of its sheen

tblountman 04-18-2013 06:38 PM

When I get my exhaust I am looking at doing ceramic coating. I believe this is more heat resistant than powder coating from what I am learning.

Sybersport 04-18-2013 09:00 PM

You know I'm not sure about the ceramic coating either... back in the day I got a set of longtubes for my Mustang, with the fancy ceramic coating... it stood up to heat just fine (so didn't turn blue), but when I accidentally got some grease / oil on them, and forgot to clean it off, it burned into the finish - so it had like a permanent stain.

Fght On 04-18-2013 09:49 PM

Is there not the option of simply cutting off your stock tips and welding them to the Borla pipes? I want the Borla too but I'm not willing to give up my stock tips - they just look soo much better.

Scottina06 04-18-2013 11:42 PM

the problem with doing that is the resonators are built into the tips of the Borla....

I know....

Fght On 04-19-2013 10:43 AM

ah, got it. I figured there must be a reason no one did this yet.

A.V.GCSRT8 04-19-2013 01:42 PM

My ATAK will be here today, glad I read this as I was thinking about powder coating the tips gloss black. I think the 5" tips look better than stock tips though personally.

Scottina06 04-19-2013 01:49 PM

yeah...just use some high temp paint...that lasted better on my 06 than the powder

SINCE1941 05-24-2013 07:12 PM

I'm looking to have my tips painted as well with high temp paint. However, the stock finish on my S-type tips seems very smooth and my paint guy was suggesting that we etch the area that I want painted with some kind of acid first. Another guy was saying he'd "roughen" or scratch the surface up first to help the paint adhere. Ideally, I'd like to just paint it myself as is just use a prep spray, primer, paint, then clear coat. Any suggestions? Also, has anyone used the VHT Flameproof paint system before???

ViperGTS 05-28-2013 08:09 AM

I had high temp powder coating done and at 1,300 miles it looks fine. It's not high gloss but not completely flat either, more of a satin finish and slightly textured. I will try to get a pic later if it ever stops raining. The guy that did it claimed to have done a pair of exhaust manifolds three years ago and they still look new.