Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   SiriusXM "Preview" feature on UConnect 8.4AN? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/siriusxm-preview-feature-on-uconnect-8-4an-58646.html)

superchuck500 04-18-2013 12:52 PM

SiriusXM "Preview" feature on UConnect 8.4AN?

I have had my 2014 Limited for a week now and still learning all of the functionality.

But I can't find any "preview" feature on the Sirius radio. Basically the idea is that you can scroll through other channels and the radio will display what song is being played on that channel - but the radio remains tuned and playing the channel you were listening to. This way, you don't just randomly tune channels before finding out what is being played - you can find another song you want and go there directly.

I will be very disappointed if this feature isn't available. It almost seems to me that the designers of the Sirius interface for the UConnect don't actually use Sirius themselves. For instance, the "browse" function only gives you a channel list. This isn't all that helpful if you've been a Sirius listener for any amount of time - even a couple of months for new users. And after you're familiar with the channel lineup, the browse feature on the UConnect is basically worthless. Imagine if the "guide" on your TV only told you the name of the channel? That isn't very helpful. You need to know what content is currently playing on that channel.

My other two Sirius radios (a portable and the one in our other car) have this and it's great. Not having it would seem like the old days of FM radio where you just take pot luck flipping through the stations.

Anybody know about this feature? Thanks!!

bill_de 04-18-2013 01:08 PM

Re: SiriusXM "Preview" feature on UConnect 8.4AN?

Did you try the owners manual?

In part it says;

" TouchtheChannelListtodisplayalltheSiriusXM ChannelNumbersalongwiththecorrespondingGenre"

Sorry, my tablet drops spaces when copying from pdf's.

---

superchuck500 04-18-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 806595)
Did you try the owners manual?

In part it says;

" TouchtheChannelListtodisplayalltheSiriusXM ChannelNumbersalongwiththecorrespondingGenre"

Sorry, my tablet drops spaces when copying from pdf's.

---

Yeah, I think that's just referring to the "Browse" function. Basically it lists the channel lineup (and genre). But if you already know the channel lineup, I don't really know how this is all that helpful.

The feature I am talking about is called "channel preview". It will display the song currently being played on the channel - but you don't have to actually tune the channel. So let's say you're listening to the 80s channel and you want to see what else is on. With the "preview" feature, you can scroll through other channels you like and see what they're playing - but the 80s channel remains playing in your audio. When you see another song you want to hear, you can then tune to that channel.

Without it, the only way to find out what other channels are playing is to directly tune them.

bill_de 04-18-2013 01:31 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood the feature.

They might have eliminated it to keep people's eyes off the screen and on the road. :)

---

willwonka 04-19-2013 04:49 PM

Yes, I have seen that on other vehichles as well. It does, however, have a way of setting favorite songs and/or artists and then it lets you know when they are on. I know it is not the same thing; but it is something.

Note: this feature doesn't work for the radio station channels.

AquaForester 03-30-2014 11:41 AM

Yeah I realized last week what was missing from my 2011 system. I can't believe this feature isn't available in my 2014. When your in Sirius and you hit browse it used to let you see your favorite stations and what was currently playing and you could just select the new station based on the song now it only lists the station name. That was one of the few good things about the old system in my 2011 LOL.

StaticFX 03-31-2014 02:17 PM

yep.. I HATE that its missing too.. browse is POINTLESS you might as well just keep clicking the next button instead of looking at the station name. So many other systems have this function (my 2004 mdx had it!!!)