Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   What should I look out for.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/what-should-i-look-out-for-58673.html)

JGC1988 04-18-2013 06:25 PM

What should I look out for..

Going to take a ride to look at this Jeep tomorrow..

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/3733543573.html

Has the 6 Cylinder but 142,xxx miles..

Anything that I should definitely look out for??

Thanks
Tom

TheStreet16 04-18-2013 08:01 PM

Re: What should I look out for..

Depends how through you wanna be. I would do all the basics. Plus normally I crawl under and look at the front skid plate. If there is any leak, it usually falls down and lands on the front skid and from there I can tell how serious it is.

Frango100 04-18-2013 08:11 PM

This jeep looks very nice and clean and seems to be well taken care of.
It has the automatic zone control airconditioning system which can give problems. Check if hot air comes out of the drivers and passengers side air outlets when high temp selected and also if the airco works on both sides. Blend doors are well known to break and expensive to repair (at least when done by the stealer).
Check all power windows if they open/close.
You could do a quick check for eventual engine related problems by doing the key dance: ignition switch off/on 3 times and leave in on at the third time. The odometer will show DONE when all ok, or a fault code(s).
Listen to the engine for eventual strange noises and check for any leaks (oil/coolant etc).
Also look under the jeep for any signs of leaks and/or damage. A dirty/damaged underside could mean that it was used offroad.
When driving check, if it runs well, transmission shifts fine and check for noises.
Success

JGC1988 04-18-2013 10:44 PM

thanks for the pointers..going to check it out in the morning and if all goes well hopefully drive it away..

offer $3200 and see how it goes from there.

JGC1988 04-18-2013 10:52 PM

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

also checking this one out at the same time..but those high miles on the HO engine kind of scares me..

both look immaculate exterior wise but we will see.

JeepMe 04-18-2013 11:27 PM

On the I6, check to see if the rear main seal leaks (oil leak between engine and tranny area). It's common to go out on that motor.

JGC1988 04-19-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 807089)
On the I6, check to see if the rear main seal leaks (oil leak between engine and tranny area). It's common to go out on that motor.

is this a big problem..to fix ?

Frango100 04-19-2013 09:17 AM

If you plan to do any towing, the HO would be the better choise. The milage difference between the two is not that big. The HO has a lot more power, 5 speed tranny and quadra drive when im not wrong. The mpg difference between the two is also not much. The 4.0 seems to be bullet proof. The 4.7 is a very good engine, but seems to be a bit more depending on how previous maintenance was done.

JeepMe 04-19-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGC1988 (Post 807198)
is this a big problem..to fix ?

Are you mechanically inclined? If so, it's not a big problem, just messy. Essentially drop oil pan (easier said then done), remove end caps, remove each piece of seal (it's a 2 piece seal), replace seal with new, and reinstall everything. If you pay a shop to have it done, I'm betting it would cost a decent amount (though never checked it out).

But since the seal is a 2 piece design, it's prone to failure.

I've towed stuff with my Jeep and I've never been concerned about power (though the HO would be better). My concern with pulling anything halfway decent size (larger than a small fishing boat) is braking.

TJXJWJ 04-22-2013 07:56 AM

That HO looks like it's been much better maintained. The I6 looks like it's got a nice sized dent in the driver's door too, and ripped seats. I bet the leather steering wheel is torn up a bit too, hence the cover. Those are all items you'll likely not repair and just have to live with and some of us couldn't live with that. I6's are cheaper and easier to replace if it comes to that, but the Overland has everything including Nav. The driving experience is totally different with that HO motor versus the 6. Even the plastic chrome wheels look like new on it!

Trav1s 04-22-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 809033)
That HO looks like it's been much better maintained. The I6 looks like it's got a nice sized dent in the driver's door too, and ripped seats. I bet the leather steering wheel is torn up a bit too, hence the cover. Those are all items you'll likely not repair and just have to live with and some of us couldn't live with that. I6's are cheaper and easier to replace if it comes to that, but the Overland has everything including Nav. The driving experience is totally different with that HO motor versus the 6. Even the plastic chrome wheels look like new on it!

I would agree with this. The Overland looks like it is in excellent condition.

JGC1988 04-23-2013 10:49 PM

So i looked at both this weekend and they were both very nice for being a bit older.

The gas milage between the two is almost nothing if i remember correctly from when I bought my first one.

I am going to make an offer on both tomorrow but if I can get the price I want on the Overland I think i am going to go with that one.