Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Help asap front cv axle!!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/help-asap-front-cv-axle-58707.html)

psychojeepers 04-19-2013 02:31 PM

Help asap front cv axle!!!!

trying to change my driver side front cv axle but cant get it out of the gearbox to save my life! anyone have experience and or any tricks/tips i can try???? i was thinkin about calling the dealership to see if they could give any advice lol

DannyVtCa 04-19-2013 04:26 PM

Re: Help asap front cv axle!!!!

You have to rotate it very gradually and pull. There is one position or tooth to where it will come out. Mine were a bitch, I ended up just pulling really hard and it finally popped out. Don't be afraid, your going to have to put your back into it and find that one tooth where it will come out.

2005JGC 04-21-2013 01:10 AM

I have had one that was a dirty DIRTY whore... I litterally had to take the axle apart (cut the boot and pull the guts out of the CV joint) I then used a bungie cord over the axle shaft INTO the diff. Then you can get a long punch, I used a long ladys foot pry bar but the pointy end so I have a flat hitting surface and a point that gets in there. The one that I did that was stuck this bad I actually had to remove the diff, mount in a vice, pull the cover off and use a tool that wedged in between the diff pin and the axle and smash it out that way. It was NOT pretty nor fun... hard to make money flat rate when it takes 3 hours and everything you got to get a stupid axle out of the diff.

To clarify, the reason you strap the bungie cord over the remaining portion of axle pulling IN is because the circlip needs a running start to jump out. If the axle has proven itself to be a difficult one, it will NOT come out unless it gets a running start.

Ultimately yours may not need all of this, you may just need another tool choice and trying prying/hammering from a different angle... Good luck!

psychojeepers 04-22-2013 08:34 AM

yea ive tried hammering and prying and wedging and the cv axle removal tool with slide hammer.... i guess im just gonna keep at it and hope it finally lets loose.

ALPINEST4RS 04-22-2013 08:50 AM

Big pry bar, make sure you order an axle seal. You will damage it..

Gamma505 04-22-2013 09:39 PM

Yea, a pain. The CV slide hammer method and other methods pulling from the axle end don't seem to work because of the play in the CV joints dissapating (sp?) the "oomph", force. Need to work near inner axle where it enters the tranny and ,as mentioned above, rotate it a bit and try repeatedly. I have placed two vicegrips (close together for added strength) on the axle shaft near the case so I can use them as a pivot for my pry bar.

psychojeepers 04-23-2013 06:50 PM

does it matter if the jeep in in neutral or park?

Gamma505 04-23-2013 06:54 PM

Needs to be in Neutral to rotate the axles. Ideally, if you have QuadratracII, stick a pin in the Hi/Lo area and stick her in "free" fall.

Let me add this..if you get a couple vicegrips( snug) on the inner side of the axle and give them a sharp rap with a 3lb sledge after rotating axle maybe 120 degrees each time, I guarantee you will find the "sweet spot" where it pops. It helps to hold the distal end of the axle on a support/jack.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-23-2013 06:57 PM

Mine had to go to two dealerships to get replaced. The first one couldnt get it out and the second one took a few mechanics to remove it

Gamma505 04-23-2013 07:02 PM

My situation may have been made easier by the fact I don't live in a winter/salt/corrosion zone.. If that is the case in yours (salt, et. al.) get some Kroil lubricant.. The stuff is stupid good.

psychojeepers 04-23-2013 07:38 PM

Yea im in nebraska so there is salt lol... and i just went out and tried with the puller and rotating and got nothin... so my next question which might be dumb but just want opinions is can i drive it with just that "cup/spline" portion of the axle there to get it to a dealership? the axle pulled apart so the boot was cut and all that is there is the spline portion that goes into the diff with the cup that the balls and such go into.

Gamma505 04-23-2013 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear it's such a pain..as I mentioned before, if you are applying the pulling force vector from the distal end of the axle, it will be dissapated by the CV joint . You need to get the "yank" force from right next to the medial end of the axle as I described already. To answer your question, if you have the axle distal nut/hub socked on, you are good to go even if the CV boots are split as far as the miles to the Dealership...probably wouldn't pick a rainy day to make the drive.