Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Chrysler is Buying Back My Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/chrysler-is-buying-back-my-grand-cherokee-58766.html)

bobkbusch 04-20-2013 11:03 PM

Chrysler is Buying Back My Grand Cherokee

Long story short...I have a loaded 2011 Overland with a troublesome Quadralift suspension and Chrysler has offered to "participate" in buying back my Jeep.

I actually love the vehicle, but I just can't rely on it anymore. Chrysler even sent an engineer from Detroit to fix it, and it failed again on my drive home. So...I'm going to look at 2014's Monday.

I made a brief stop at the dealership this evening for my first look and found some interesting differences from my 2011.

I have a 5.7L, 4X4, with the ORAII package and want to duplicate it as close as possible...yes even with Quadralift because I use it a lot and I do take my Jeep off-road. I have a Lifetime Chrysler bumper-bumper warranty that will transfer, so I'm not worried about the occasional glitch.

My 2011 Overland has the grey/black wheel well trim, rocker panels, and fascia. The new Overlands have body color trim.

I'm certain the 2014 body color trim will be full of rock chips if I take it off road. I know I can get the grey/black trim in a Limited, but I simply like the interior of the Overland better.

Can tint shops protect the wheel well trim with clear bra? I'm certain they can do rocker panels, but not so certain on the round trim around the wheel well.

Obviously, I can ask a tint shop, but I simply don't have time to visit a shop before my Monday appointment with the dealer.

Thanks!

johhn14 04-21-2013 09:21 AM

Re: Chrysler is Buying Back My Grand Cherokee

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Fortunately my 2011 Overland has been fine.

I don't know the answer to your question, but another option you could consider is replacing the body painted trim with the black plastic. The cost difference might not be much.

TitanFlyer 04-21-2013 09:54 AM

Hopefully the next one is perfect for you...

Lankness 04-21-2013 01:29 PM

Good luck.

Find a local shop that deals with 3M clear bras. They can take the clear vinyl and put it anywhere you want. Over the fenders, across the front, the mirrors and the hood are typical installations. They do a great job at keeping chips to a minimum.

SW03ES 04-21-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkbusch (Post 808348)
Can tint shops protect the wheel well trim with clear bra? I'm certain they can do rocker panels, but not so certain on the round trim around the wheel well.

Yeah they can install the PPF on any painted, glossy trim.

bobkbusch 04-21-2013 03:35 PM

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure if it would be difficult for the clear bra to conform to the circular profile of the wheel well trim.

Probably because I'm used to the grey/black trim on my 2011, I'm not a fan of the color matched trim on the 2014 Overlands, both for looks and utility (off-road)...I suppose it will grow on me. My wife likes the new color matched trim.

Now I just need to find an exterior/interior color scheme. I really love my Mineral Grey with Saddle Interior. So far, I haven't seen a 2014 color scheme that wows me, in a good way.

SW03ES 04-21-2013 03:40 PM

I personally like the color matched trim depending on the color...

Yeah I really miss the saddle. Mineral Grey/Saddle is my favorite combo, my neighbor has a 2012 Mineral Grey/Saddle Summit and I love it. My other neighbor who had a silver 2011 Limited just got a 2014 Overland in Granite and its sharp. I haven't walked over there to see what color interior he has yet. Looks black but I guess it could be the blue/brown...I think maximum steel would be what I would get.

BobsWK2 04-21-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 808656)
I personally like the color matched trim depending on the color...

I also prefer the color matched trim. In fact when I saw what the 2014 Summit looked like with the integrated color matched wheel opening mouldings, I knew my 2012 Overland was history.
The black trim to me just makes it look like someone stopped at Pep Boys or J C Whitney and screwed on some black mouldings. Now I do understand IF the vehicle is truly going off road, then there would probably be less damage done to the black mouldings. But I don't intend to ever do that with any vehicle, so the Summit works for me.

jgc4ever 04-21-2013 08:21 PM

If you get Brilliant Black I will trade you all of my plastic trim for your painted trim and I'll pay the shipping both ways. Obviously we wouldn't want to trade front lower bumper fascias because of the changes from 2012s to 2014s, but all the rest. Let me know if you get brilliant black and are interested!

bobkbusch 04-23-2013 05:30 PM

I feel like I just signed divorce papers!

I am returning my 2011 GC Overland to Chrysler for a new 2014. As I mentioned, I love my 2011, but the Quadralift has been troublesome, so Chrysler is buying it back; I think Chrysler made me a very fair offer!

Here are some of my observations about the 2014s...

I ordered a Granite Crystal exterior, black interior, Limited, 4X4, 5.7L, with LUX Group II, Advanced Technology Group, and Off-Road Adventure II.

I chose a Limited instead of the Overland for a couple of reasons. I did not want the body colored trim that is now standard on the MY2014s since I take my Jeep off-road. I agree that the body colored trim looks better on some colors like red and cashmere. I think the Granite looks sharp, and the grey/black trim blends nicely and will be trouble free off-road.

My 2011 has a beautiful Saddle interior and unfortunately, nothing in the 2014s comes close, in my opinion. I love the look of the wood steering wheel in my 2011, but it has always been hot to the touch on a sunny day. The color of the wood steering wheel on the 2014s Overlands did nothing for me. So, I'll lose a nice stitched dash, puddle/convenience lights, leather door uppers and armrest, and power foldable mirrors.

On the plus side, I gained the black/grey fascia, rocker panels, and wheel well trim, while saving about $2500 after taxes.

I like the 8-speed transmission, but I noted significant lurching each time it downshifted in Sport Mode in the lower gears when braking gently for stop lights. This was not noticeable in the normal Drive mode. I've seen others post this same observation, and I don't know if this is something that will smooth out once the car learns my driving habits. It will take a bit to get used to the electronic shift, but I'm sure I'll end up liking it. I do like the paddle shifters!

New RA4 radio is nice, but I didn't spend much time with it. I'll miss dedicated buttons for seat heating/cooling. I also wish Chrylser would publish renewal rates for the Uconnect Access via Mobile feature (I've seen rates for wi-fi hotspot, but nothing yet on the "via Mobile").

New steering wheel layout is nice, as are the new headlights.

I didn't spend much time with the EVIC (I think it is still called that), but I did notice a few things. I'm used to a decent sized icon indicating the air suspension operating to raise/lower the car. This seems to be replaced with words "raising/lowering" and in very small font, at least for my older eyes. Also, the vehicle indicated it was stuck in "raising" for quite some time (uh oh) when pulling out of the parking lot from entry/exit height. It is nice that it displays "Aero" height, but again, it is so small that it is difficult to read. Perhaps this is all adjustable and I look forward to playing with it.

Off-Road Adventure II package still comes with Latitude Tour "On/Off Road" tires. I thought Chrysler would have received enough negative feedback with this choice by now that they would have a different tire included in this package. This will be a day one swap.

That's about it. Kinda bittersweet, but if my new JGC is trouble-free, or at least less trouble, I know I'll love it!

TitanFlyer 04-23-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkbusch (Post 810222)

I also wish Chrylser would publish renewal rates for the Uconnect Access via Mobile feature (I've seen rates for wi-fi hotspot, but nothing yet on the "via Mobile").

It would be extra awesome if they actually release the apps before they tell us how much it will cost to renew after less than a year with them.

WHERE ARE THE FREAKING VIA APPS CHRYSLER????

Oh, and congrats on the new JGC... its good to hear after all you went through that it worked out for you.

STIX 04-23-2013 08:24 PM

I'm almost there with ya bud. Bi lemon lawned my 2011 and they fixed it...so it seems until Saturday when I couldn't start it.

Had it in 6 times for quadra lift issues, have a custom wiring harness from one of the QL engineers in my rig. Now this is the second time it had a massive electrical fault that prevented starting.

I've had it. Love the damn thing but this shouldn't be happening.

Did you lemon law yours or go a different route?