Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   07 GC SRT8 won't shift into park (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/07-gc-srt8-wont-shift-into-park-58768.html)

Smilezdg 04-20-2013 11:20 PM

07 GC SRT8 won't shift into park

I have a 07 grand cherokee SRT8. Yesterday I got home from work I tried to shift up to park and the stick gets stuck on reverse. It won't go up any further, its really hard like if something is blocking it . All the other gears work fine. So now when I park it I have to leave it on neutral and put on the E-brake. Could anyone help me with this issue?

Scottina06 04-21-2013 09:44 PM

Re: 07 GC SRT8 won't shift into park

hmmm...Ive heard of them not shifting out of park

Rose City GC SRT8 04-22-2013 07:40 AM

There is a pawl in the shifter that will disable the lock-out that occurs when there is no electrical power and allow you to shift OUT of P. Could a malfunction there prevent it from going into P?

Smilezdg 04-22-2013 07:46 AM

I can see how it can prevent from coming out of park but going into park is kinda weird. I'll have to look into that.

Scottina06 04-22-2013 09:05 AM

its gotta be electrical in the shifter. There were problems with the shifter in the 06's I believe.

2005JGC 04-30-2013 01:39 AM

is the shift gate block out cover intact? I have seen these fail (experienced it) and it jams up and prevents fluid movement of the shifter (in my case it did prevent park at 1 point).

gray cherokee 06-02-2013 08:37 AM

Hi All
new to the forum.
I have the same problem,not shifting back into park with my 2004 WG grand cherokee.
I have found the problem,under the centre console to the side of the shift lever there is a electrically suplied air (or motor) driven servo,not much bigger than a cotton reel,this is to stop you going into park while in motion.It is speed sensed,anything over about 4 mph and it locks you out of park.
the problem with mine is that it activates when you pull away but does not de-activate when I stop,hence I can't get back into park.
So on mine the centre rod of the servo comes out to 'lock off' park,but does not retract again.I am currently trying to track down exactly what it is called so I can get a new one.
I have removed it from the car so I can still use park,but just have to be carefull not to throw it in park while moving!:mad:
all the best
Gary

FriscoHemi 04-10-2014 07:54 PM

Bump on this for an outcome please?!

My jeep just started doing this today. I push the brake pedal and hear the relay click in the engine bay but I don't hear the click inside the cabin which releases the mechanism so I can shift back into park. I can still manage to get R and she drives fine - just can't get back into park. Heading to the dealership in the morning. (checked all fuses but not sure what I'm looking for and discussions on this topic are scarce).

FriscoHemi 04-14-2014 12:03 PM

Well - stealership says to replace the shifter assembly. Given the fact that she has 145K miles and is an 06 I decided to dip into savings account and let them fix it. I was considering digging around in there and trying to remove the physical lockout (I'm assuming some metal lever/bracket) but my baby's been real good to me so I'll just get the new part (and it's safest that way).

I did try cleaning the circuit board contacts with no luck - here's some really good info: Why Shifter Lever Assy breaks on Jeeps - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Due to shipping time of the part the Jeep should be done end of the week. Hope it solves the problem and I'll report back either way.