Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Trouble code P0480 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/trouble-code-p0480-58774.html)

begemotya 04-21-2013 07:19 AM

Trouble code P0480

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this website.
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 overland.

Yesterday while in the car wash the engine light came on.
I used the nTune dcx device to read the trouble code.
It was P0480 - some fan malfunction... Can't really understand from the search in the internet. Do you or anybody else on this forum can help me and understand the issue?
I cleared the code and it didn't come back (the engine light)

Thanks!

padgett 04-21-2013 07:01 PM

Re: Trouble code P0480

PCM is trying to turn on the radiator cooling fan and it isn't. To check, start engine and turn a/c on. Cooling fan should be running. If not check for bad connections or take to dealer. (May be a connector that needs to be reseated).

If cooling fan is not running it is easy at slow speeds or stopped to overheat the engine and overpressure the a/c.

This is why I bought the service manual CD but unfortunately it can't be used on the Android tablet in my car. Can read the other FSMs I have because they are .pdfs.

begemotya 04-21-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 808716)
PCM is trying to turn on the radiator cooling fan and it isn't. To check, start engine and turn a/c on. Cooling fan should be running. If not check for bad connections or take to dealer. (May be a connector that needs to be reseated).

If cooling fan is not running it is easy at slow speeds or stopped to overheat the engine and overpressure the a/c.

This is why I bought the service manual CD but unfortunately it can't be used on the Android tablet in my car. Can read the other FSMs I have because they are .pdfs.

I turned the A/C on but the problem didn't reproduced.
What can be the issue then? Why it's not reproducible?
If no error code and no engine light then it means that the cooling fan is working now...

padgett 04-21-2013 10:03 PM

Could be just a glitch but I would check/wiggle all of the fan connections just to be safe.

One of the easier things to see is if the fan is running with a/c on.

begemotya 04-21-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 808859)
Could be just a glitch but I would check/wiggle all of the fan connections just to be safe.

One of the easier things to see is if the fan is running with a/c on.

Are you talking about the main fan that is on the radiator?
This one is running.
As well I monitored the coolant temp, it went to 110c and then back to 100c

padgett 04-22-2013 07:51 AM

Yes, that code refers to the electric fan on the radiator. Personally feel that anything over the thermostat opening +5F to be TDH (G - too darn hot). That would be 95C/200F.

(rant) I've been keeping computer cars under 200F (and have pulled a rig over the pass at Monteagle doing so in July) for decades. EVERYTHING under the hood lasts longer and the a/c works better. (/rant)

begemotya 04-22-2013 12:07 PM

I used to have Chrysler 300C and 180 thermostat that I used diablo sport to program.
Do you know if such thing can be done to the jeep?
But I don't see the option in the intune dcx programmer...

padgett 04-22-2013 12:35 PM

The hard part seems to be a lower thermostat (I'd like a 180F or 185F). For the Pentastar, CJF uses a very non-standard four piece affair that includes the water neck. Really all that is needed is the pellet assembly and possibly a different spring but have not seen any availability - anyone know where I can buy one ?