Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Heater core possible fix (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/heater-core-possible-fix-58796.html)

Divo Kinevil 04-21-2013 04:16 PM

Heater core possible fix

I've been having some issue with the front windshield fogging up when I turned on the defroster. After doing some searching on here I narrowed it down to a heater core going bad. Took it to a trusted mechanic because I don't have the patient or the time to try and replace the heater core myself due to how extensive it is on the wj. My mechanic told me I was better off selling and looking into something new because it wasn't worth the bill. I'd rather not pick up a car payment since I'm trying to save for a house so I took a chance and spent $20 at autozone on a radiator repair and so far things are getting better. If anyone is having the same issue I know there are a few threads of people looking for options so I wanted to put it out there that depending on how bad your problem may be this fix may just help out. Just make sure you turn the heater on when running the product through the radiator so it cycles through the heater core!!

Frango100 04-21-2013 05:11 PM

Re: Heater core possible fix

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divo Kinevil (Post 808663)
. Just make sure you turn the heater on when running the product through the radiator so it cycles through the heater core!!

As soon as the engine runs, the coolant goes through the heater core, there is no shutoff valve or alike. Heating is only regulated with the blend doors, which let air pass through the heater core or bypass it.

Divo Kinevil 04-21-2013 06:05 PM

Good to know. I thought it was regulated. Thanks for the insight. Just happy it worked for me I feel like I dodged a huge bullet

Thumper828 04-22-2013 07:16 PM

I just went through the same thing with heater core. Pull back passengers side carpet and check for anti-freeze. If heater core is leaking they'll probably be some under there. Dry it out and keep a check on it.

Divo Kinevil 04-23-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper828 (Post 809484)
I just went through the same thing with heater core. Pull back passengers side carpet and check for anti-freeze. If heater core is leaking they'll probably be some under there. Dry it out and keep a check on it.

I never had any heavy leaking just a smell when the blower was on the 3rd or 4th setting. My biggest pet peeve was the film it would leave on my windshield.

dave_samoa 05-12-2013 04:30 AM

I just used Bars-Leak, the copper one and it seems to be working! It cost me $8 at walmart and I only removed the radiator cap, not the whole dash!!!

Frango100 05-12-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_samoa (Post 821678)
I just used Bars-Leak, the copper one and it seems to be working! It cost me $8 at walmart and I only removed the radiator cap, not the whole dash!!!

Not so sure about the stop leak products. I see it more as a temporary solution. There are products which can also cause the small coolant passages in the heater core and radiator to be blocked. Why did you use the copper one, since the radiator and heater core are aluminum?

Jamesla30 05-12-2013 11:00 PM

I had the exact same symptoms and problem and also solved with stop leak. I actually hated doing it, as that stuff can really mess stuff up. But it's a 99 with 150k and a $800 heater core replacement just isnt' worth it. Most feedback I found seemed to think the stop-leak would work for 2-3 years or more. I will be selling mine soon, and it has been working great since I did it about 6 months ago.

You said you don't have leaking anywhere, but you probably do... if you look under the passenger side compartment, way under the glove box, up to the front of the carpet... there is a heater vent right there. Pull the carpet down a bit from that, and you might discover your leak. it doesn't gush, but you'll see where it is running.

I agree, the worst part is the smell everytime the vents turn on. I think mine is finally starting to get evaporated so it isn't quite as bad. Inhaling those fumes forever can't be good for us :)