Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   DIY transmission service- however no dipstick (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/diy-transmission-service-however-no-dipstick-58809.html)

michael 1970 04-21-2013 08:12 PM

DIY transmission service- however no dipstick

I need to do a service on my transmission- fluid, filter. My Jeep did not come w/a transmission dipstick, just a cap that says "dealer only" I am told the dealer needs to do it due to the way the fluid is measured. I am told it needs to be hooked up to the computer and the level is relative to the fluid temp as found in the service manual.
I have a lot of mechanical experience and I know the fluid level is relative to it's temp and it is reflected on the dipstick. I know I can buy a dipstick for it online.
Is it really necessary to hook it to the computer and all that? Can't it be measured the way most transmissions are?? I would like to do it myself and not pay the dealer $300 to do it!
Thanks!

Madanio24 04-21-2013 09:05 PM

Re: DIY transmission service- however no dipstick

Mine came with a dipstick and we have basically same model.

stashgto 04-21-2013 09:16 PM

What I did was I placed my clean drain pan under the transmission then take down the pan with care not to spill any, and then poured it into a empty gallon container, and two empty quart containers. The total was obviously six quarts for mine, and that's what I put in. I've heard from 5 to seven so make sure to measure your own. Make sure it's drained for a while with the filter out, and pretty much stops dripping. I had to go to the dealer for some updates later that month so while it was there I had them double check the level with the computer. I hear they normally charge for this, but they didn't since they were already plugged in. It was right on anyway, and also the light will come on if the level is off.
I used the fluid from the dealer since most folks on here told me that was best
It would be nice to have a stick thanks Matt

Madanio24 04-21-2013 10:30 PM

I wonder why your jeeps didn't come with one. Bro we should work on our jeeps sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stashgto (Post 808831)
What I did was I placed my clean drain pan under the transmission then take down the pan with care not to spill any, and then poured it into a empty gallon container, and two empty quart containers. The total was obviously six quarts for mine, and that's what I put in. I've heard from 5 to seven so make sure to measure your own. Make sure it's drained for a while, and pretty much stops dripping. I had to go to the dealer for some updates later that month so while it was there I had them double check the level with the computer. I hear they normally charge for this, but they didn't since they were already plugged in. It was right on anyway, and also the light will come on if the level is off.
I used the fluid from the dealer since most folks on here told me that was best
It would be nice to have a stick thanks Matt

robpp 04-22-2013 10:28 AM

now that you know its at the correct level go to the Depot and get a 48 inch ty-wrap.

dip it in. mark the level with a sharpie. and now you got a stick. just try to always be near the same temp as they say the level on the stick changes with temp/

OH7wk 04-26-2013 09:15 PM

I just got a "dealer" dipstick from matco as long as you know a relative temp its great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk