Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Parker lights, one goes off with the indicator.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/parker-lights-one-goes-off-with-the-indicator-58810.html)

speed_racer 04-21-2013 08:15 PM

Parker lights, one goes off with the indicator..

Hi Guys,

I've noticed in the reflection of the car I'm sitting behind, when i have the indicator on (either side) the parker light turns off but comes back on soon as the indicator is off.. Has anyone else noticed this or is it a wiring fault?

GlennR 04-21-2013 08:27 PM

Re: Parker lights, one goes off with the indicator..

Its normal. The reason is to make sure the indicator is more visible during day light hours. (notice your DRL does not extinguish at night when your headlamps are on, but they are not as bright).

speed_racer 04-21-2013 09:25 PM

Arr normal.. interesting.. thanks :)

Whats DRL?

allypally 04-21-2013 09:41 PM

DRL=Daylight Running Lights

speed_racer 04-21-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 808843)
DRL=Daylight Running Lights

Sweet thanks! :)

knight rider 01-13-2014 02:50 AM

Just noticed this the other day. Looks like you have a blown head light, also looks a little retarded if you ask me.

Lots of other cars with L.E.D. running lights don't go out when you have the indicator on. Is there any way of stopping this?

ENFORCER 01-13-2014 06:12 AM

Really?
Why would you change it..
It is for safety so people can see your turn signal, and for what it s worth, all cars with DRL's near the turn signals either dim or turn off when they are active. Just look at any Audi or Lexus.

bill_de 01-13-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight rider (Post 958950)
Just noticed this the other day. Looks like you have a blown head light, also looks a little retarded if you ask me.

Lots of other cars with L.E.D. running lights don't go out when you have the indicator on. Is there any way of stopping this?

It is required to operate this way due to some federal safety standard. The actual regulation was posted here months ago. It has to do with the proximity of the drl to the directional and the brightness of the drl.

Don't worry about how it looks to oncoming traffic ... they don't gara about your Jeep. ;)

---

archcat74 01-17-2014 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 959003)
It is required to operate this way due to some federal safety standard. The actual regulation was posted here months ago. It has to do with the proximity of the drl to the directional and the brightness of the drl.

Don't worry about how it looks to oncoming traffic ... they don't gara about your Jeep. ;)

---

It's likely the ADR's mandated this feature in Australia.

Blakey 01-17-2014 05:48 AM

Many other makes operate in a similar way, whilst audis dim the DRL on the indicating side