Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Auto Headlight Issues 2014 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/auto-headlight-issues-2014-a-58818.html)

PMD G8 04-21-2013 10:44 PM

Auto Headlight Issues 2014

1st off it is way too sensitive. Was driving around in clear skys about 1.5 hours from sunset. Drove behind a couple of trees and the lights came on. Then, they never shut off in direct sunlight.

Which leads me to my next issue. Upon starting it up in my garage the headlights come on. Exit and drive away in sunlight and they dont shut off. Joy.

Specx 04-21-2013 11:04 PM

Re: Auto Headlight Issues 2014

Sounds like a problem. Mine turn on in the garage when I enter/exit and will turn off in the sunlight. Never had them stay stuck on.

jp467 04-21-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 808883)
1st off it is way too sensitive. Was driving around in clear skys about 1.5 hours from sunset. Drove behind a couple of trees and the lights came on. Then, they never shut off in direct sunlight.

Which leads me to my next issue. Upon starting it up in my garage the headlights come on. Exit and drive away in sunlight and they dont shut off. Joy.

I was just thinking today about posting something about this. The auto headlights are too sensitive. Cloud cover is enough to turn them on. Mine will go out in direct sunlight but they need to come out with an adjustment for this. Sometimes I just turn them off.

paui4m 04-22-2013 06:51 AM

I find this to be the case even in my '11.
The auto high beams are equally sensitive.

PMD G8 04-22-2013 08:36 AM

When my wife left today they automatically cut off before she got out of the driveway. However she wasnt to happy that the radio presets had changed on their own......

Andoskyy 04-22-2013 09:13 AM

If they weren't as sensitive as they are, people would complain that they're not sensitive enough.

I love the look of the DRL's, so I keep my headlights off during the daylight, then switch to auto at night.

Unless you think turning a dial is too much work 1-2 times per day at most, then this is an easy, foolproof solution.

GCLimited 04-22-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 809079)

If they weren't as sensitive as they are, people would complain that they're not sensitive enough.

I love the look of the DRL's, so I keep my headlights off during the daylight, then switch to auto at night.

Unless you think turning a dial is too much work 1-2 times per day at most, then this is an easy, foolproof solution.

Why bother offering a feature like automatic headlights if the feature doesn't work correctly?

:rolleyes:

I for one hate the look of DRL's, and how it cuts the life of the bulbs.

myoung84 04-22-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 809103)
Why bother offering a feature like automatic headlights if the feature doesn't work correctly?

I agree with this. I have had auto lights in my last several vehicles and none were as sensitive as the Jeep. They come on way too early.

Andoskyy 04-22-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 809103)

I for one hate the look of DRL's, and how it cuts the life of the bulbs.

I agree, but because I like the DRL look, it's never been an issue for me.

How does it cut the life of the bulbs? The DRL's are the LED's, and the Headlights are a separate bulb. Or are you referring to the life of the LED's?

PMD G8 04-22-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 809112)
I agree, but because I like the DRL look, it's never been an issue for me.

How does it cut the life of the bulbs? The DRL's are the LED's, and the Headlights are a separate bulb. Or are you referring to the life of the LED's?

Was thinking he was referring to the older model or a limited or laredo

Andoskyy 04-22-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 809115)
Was thinking he was referring to the older model or a limited or laredo

Ah, ok. Limited/laredo makes sense. Thanks

What do DRL's look like on the non-HID lights?

GCLimited 04-22-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 809112)

I don't have HIDs on my Limited, so my Low beam bulb will be used up that much faster.