Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Time to see what it can do (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/time-to-see-what-it-can-do-58857.html)

phillysrt 04-22-2013 03:47 PM

Time to see what it can do
 
1 Attachment(s)
Uhhh ohhh. 500 miles. Time to have fun!!!!

jbjones85 04-22-2013 05:16 PM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
in for updates.... is that 15.8 mpg?

phillysrt 04-22-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbjones85 (Post 809384)
in for updates.... is that 15.8 mpg?

Haha don't I wish. Nah it's 15.0mpg

Fght On 04-22-2013 09:26 PM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
Damn! I would love even 15. I'm at like 8.6 but I've only put on about 20 city miles in the over 2 weeks I've had it.

phillysrt 04-23-2013 07:06 AM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
itll go up!!! mine came from factory getting 13....so im happy with 15.

my 2010 SRT was getting 9....big huge improvement

Fght On 04-23-2013 08:30 AM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
I'll take 13 too while we're at it :)

Schleprock 04-23-2013 08:35 AM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
It's 2013, no need to baby factory engines anymore until X miles.

GenevaSRT8 04-23-2013 10:12 AM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 809862)
It's 2013, no need to baby factory engines anymore until X miles.

Tell this to Jeep engineers...;) the following is from the '14 Jeep SRT owner's manual:
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the drivetrain (engine, transmission, clutch, and rear axle) in your new vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 mi (800 km). After the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
However, wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.


There are recommendations also not to tow at all for the first 500mi, and to remain at moderate speeds only for the first 500mi of towing...

I first thought this is because the SRT is a high performance vehicle... but there is the same paragraph in the owner's manual for other Grand Cherokee engine options.

Schleprock 04-23-2013 10:51 AM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GenevaSRT8 (Post 809928)
Tell this to Jeep engineers...;) the following is from the '14 Jeep SRT owner's manual:
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the drivetrain (engine, transmission, clutch, and rear axle) in your new vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 mi (800 km). After the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
However, wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.


There are recommendations also not to tow at all for the first 500mi, and to remain at moderate speeds only for the first 500mi of towing...

I first thought this is because the SRT is a high performance vehicle... but there is the same paragraph in the owner's manual for other Grand Cherokee engine options.

..or tell it to SVT Engineers who built the most powerful mass produced V8 in the world. Who flat out said, feel free to beat on your 2013 Shelby's upon delivery it's not going to hurt it.

The Jeep Engineers are not some mythical engineering creature plucked from a pool of only those who were taught Jeep engines, as if the 3.6, 5.7, 6.4 engines act completely different than any other engine created in the world. Not to mention the vehicle has a warranty, if the engine blows at 35,999 miles exactly, are you going to be able to attribute that to someone stomping on it at 105 miles? On the flip side, if something breaks in the first 500 miles regardless of how you drive it (so long as you kept oil in it, and if you don't have oil in it then there is a problem anyway that early!!), there was a defect, plain and simple.

Driving easy for the first X miles is a perpetuated old wives tale for the bean counters to continually stick in new auto's. It carries no more weight than the idea of going outside in the cold with wet hair will cause you to become ill. In fact, there are some who believe you should beat on it early to seat/seal everything at the higher level.

NOTE: This does not hold true for rotary engines, they require specified break-in procedures to seat the apex seals and lubricate/break in the rotor housings

phillysrt 04-23-2013 10:59 AM

My dad said to me beat the piss out of it hahaha he said you drive em like you stole em! Hahah I took my time and broke it in. I didn't need to beat the hell out of them. I got a 67 camaro with over 900horses that I beat the piss out of haha

Schleprock 04-23-2013 11:19 AM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by phillysrt (Post 809971)
My dad said to me beat the piss out of it hahaha he said you drive em like you stole em! Hahah I took my time and broke it in. I didn't need to beat the hell out of them. I got a 67 camaro with over 900horses that I beat the piss out of haha

God Bless your dad!
http://www.virtualsportsnetwork.com/...BeerSalute.gif

GenevaSRT8 04-23-2013 11:22 AM

Re: Time to see what it can do
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 809959)
..or tell it to SVT Engineers who built the most powerful mass produced V8 in the world. Who flat out said, feel free to beat on your 2013 Shelby's upon delivery it's not going to hurt it.

The Jeep Engineers are not some mythical engineering creature plucked from a pool of only those who were taught Jeep engines, as if the 3.6, 5.7, 6.4 engines act completely different than any other engine created in the world. Not to mention the vehicle has a warranty, if the engine blows at 35,999 miles exactly, are you going to be able to attribute that to someone stomping on it at 105 miles? On the flip side, if something breaks in the first 500 miles regardless of how you drive it (so long as you kept oil in it, and if you don't have oil in it then there is a problem anyway that early!!), there was a defect, plain and simple.

Driving easy for the first X miles is a perpetuated old wives tale for the bean counters to continually stick in new auto's. It carries no more weight than the idea of going outside in the cold with wet hair will cause you to become ill. In fact, there are some who believe you should beat on it early to seat/seal everything at the higher level.

NOTE: This does not hold true for rotary engines, they require specified break-in procedures to seat the apex seals and lubricate/break in the rotor housings

I hear what you say, I just wrote my post to show you that PhillySRT and the others who take it easy with their spanking new rides don't do it just because they heard it in the line at the post office, but because upon receiving their new ride, they did the totally non-rebel thing: they read the instructions...
And I can tell you that when I trade a little pile of cash against my '14 SRT in a few months, I too will follow the recommendations of the manufacturer, because in my book, if the guys who designed and built my new ride were good enough to get my money, when they write that it is best to take it easy for the first 500 miles on the product they just handed to me, I would tend to believe them over the guys at Ford and -with all respect due- ...over you.

I mean, I'd love the guys at Jeep to come out of the woods and say "oh, sorry, the break-in paragraph is a copy-paste mistake... just ignore it", but until then... I'll follow their break-in recommendation.

Also, this is an AWD truck with an auto gearbox, while the Shelby Mustang is a RWD with (correct me if I'm wrong) a 6-speed manual. So this may be why the recommendations are different.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community