Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Warranty Related Loaner Car Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/warranty-related-loaner-car-question-58860.html)

Lanrete 04-22-2013 04:25 PM

Warranty Related Loaner Car Question

I don't have my new GC yet, but it is on a train to somewhere :-). I assume my new Jeep will have to be put into the dealership at some point early on for whatever defects. I live in Houston, TX, and the two closest dealerships are owned by the same family and don't offer loaner cars at all, but instead have a rental car company on site (which is bullshit for a car of this price point...). Does anyone have experience with warranty work in a similar situation? Can I expect a free rental car without a fight, or am I expected to pay out of pocket to be able to drive around if/when my new car fails? To me it is unacceptable to have to be without a car, or pay out of pocket for a car for a defect. Of course, I am planning on having a defect free car, just thinking worst case scenario.

Thanks!

SnoFire 04-22-2013 04:27 PM

If they don't have then for anyone then you would be in the same boat, get ready to pay if you have to. If you have rental on your auto insurance, may e that would cover it.

bill_de 04-22-2013 04:27 PM

Re: Warranty Related Loaner Car Question

Chrysler does not offer loaner or rentals. If you buy and extended warranty there is a provision for it,

BioTech 04-22-2013 04:29 PM

if the jeep is in for warranty work and will take longer then a day. They will provide you with a rental car or loaner. You will still need to use a credit card for the rental but the dealer will pay for the rental. You are required to cover the insurance and any fees beyond the rental fee (ie gas and any damage).

bill_de 04-22-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoFire (Post 809340)
If they don't have then for anyone then you would be in the same boat, get ready to pay if you have to. If you have rental on your auto insurance, may e that would cover it.

Rental on an insurance policy is generally good only if you have a covered loss ... collision, theft, fire, etc.

mceb 04-22-2013 05:50 PM

Yea same kind of treatment for my Nissan truck. There's the rental place have a nice day. Pretty sure that's common for Ford and GM too. You usually only get the free loaner deal with the high end luxury cars but I hear you at these prices it feels like we are buying a luxury SUV.

bill_de 04-22-2013 06:01 PM

Ford and Chevy always provided loaners or rentals if a vehicle had to stay over night. In recent years they would have Enterprise pick you up. That was part of their warranty ... Could have changed.

Chrysler provides for nothing without an extended warranty. If a dealer provides it, that's on them.

Acura always provided a loaner. I found out from a neighbor that the same family's Honda dealership does also.

DirtyDuc83 04-22-2013 06:03 PM

I have a max care warranty which covers rentals if needed. As mentioned above, Chrysler takes care of the rental cost and im responsible for gas, incidentals etc...I dont believe the standard 3/36 has provisions for this.

Lanrete 04-22-2013 06:06 PM

Ugh, that is what I thought.... It irritates me (but I suspected going in), that Jeep has yet to cross the luxury threshold, even with their pricing. My parents just bought a Cadillac SUV for 10grand less than my summit, but they get a loaner delivered to their door and their car driven off for anything at all, including an oil change. They would have bought a GC if they had anywhere near that level of service....

bill_de 04-22-2013 06:12 PM

BTW - In '07 when I bought a Liberty, they were able to sell you just the rental portion of the warranty. It was pretty cheap, so I bought it. Maybe they can still do that. On the plus side, I never needed it with that car.

--

DirtyDuc83 04-22-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanrete (Post 809421)
Ugh, that is what I thought.... It irritates me (but I suspected going in), that Jeep has yet to cross the luxury threshold, even with their pricing. My parents just bought a Cadillac SUV for 10grand less than my summit, but they get a loaner delivered to their door and their car driven off for anything at all, including an oil change. They would have bought a GC if they had anywhere near that level of service....

That's pretty convenient. Luxury dealers around here dont do that. When I would need to take my bmw in for service, there was always a two week wait if I wanted a loaner...and I knew one of the SA's personally. At least with the jeep I can get it in within a week and either just use the shuttle service or get the rental. Not a huge issue for me as I work from home and the dealership is only about 7 min from me if i have to stop at every light along the way. Last time i took it in, i got a rental which took far more time than just having the shuttle driver take me home and pick me up when the Jeep was ready.

jacko15 04-22-2013 08:14 PM

With most makes of cars these days a loaner or other transportation is usually up to the dealer. Mine will provide one for warranty work. It's a really good dealership that I've been doing business with for years. Always ask in advance. The good dealers will try to make some kind of arrangement.