Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Transmission Temp (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/transmission-temp-58866.html)

jp467 04-22-2013 05:17 PM

Transmission Temp

I have noticed that the trans temp on my new 2014 runs 190 to 200 after fully warmed up (15 or more miles of driving). This is 20 or 30 degrees warmer that my 2012 ran. I think it is due to the heat exchanger the new trans has to make it more efficient. I have 2 questions. What trans fluid temps are others seeing? I also have to wonder because this is a fill for life trans what kind of fluid is this? I have always understood that the warmer the fluid runs the quicker it breaks down.

bill_de 04-22-2013 05:52 PM

Re: Transmission Temp

I don't remember the numbers, but it runs right about midpoint on the gauge. That is usually the sweet spot if the right gauges are used.

I confess that knowing the number would do me no good since I don't know what it should be. I think this is my first vehicle that shows this.

---

SnoFire 04-22-2013 06:22 PM

Padgot had the same thing when he got his jeep as well, might want to ask him. I don't it was ever a problem though

jp467 04-22-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 809407)
I don't remember the numbers, but it runs right about midpoint on the gauge. That is usually the sweet spot if the right gauges are used.

I confess that knowing the number would do me no good since I don't know what it should be. I think this is my first vehicle that shows this.

---

Mine is a little past midpoint on the gauge. It takes it a while to get there probably 15 miles or so. It seems its set to cool at 200 because if I'm stuck in traffic the temp will rise to 200 and then fall to about 188 or 190 and cycle back and forth in that range. It is warmer than what I have seen in my last 2012 Grand Cherokee which was usually in the 170 range. I did read an article about the Ram with this trans that said they were using hot engine coolant to warm the trans fluid for more efficient operation but I was just wondering what the long term effect on the fluid is.

BobsWK2 04-22-2013 06:45 PM

My previous 2012 Overland V8 trans temp was usually about 160. But my 2014 Summit V8 runs about 210. Quite a difference. It wouldn't surprise me if both readings were inaccurate.

I notice on my 2014, even when it sits in the garage all night and the garage temp at first startup is 60 degrees, the ENGINE OIL temp never goes below 122 degrees. Why is that?

camnellum1 04-22-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 809385)
I have noticed that the trans temp on my new 2014 runs 190 to 200 after fully warmed up (15 or more miles of driving). This is 20 or 30 degrees warmer that my 2012 ran. I think it is due to the heat exchanger the new trans has to make it more efficient. I have 2 questions. What trans fluid temps are others seeing? I also have to wonder because this is a fill for life trans what kind of fluid is this? I have always understood that the warmer the fluid runs the quicker it breaks down.

Just drove about 12 miles on back hill roads using ECO mode. Average speed is about 35mph and outside temp is 45F. The transmission temp is was reading about 181F.

padgett 04-22-2013 07:35 PM

My '12 has always seemed strange - when the coolant is at 200F, the oil will be around 185F and the trans (5 speed) 170F. Even on a hot day.

To me this seems backwards though a lockup trans will not run as warm as one with just a TQ but particularly since the oil is cooled by the coolant.

Guage is one div under 1/2 at everything from 180 to 210. Midpoint seems to be 220 which is TDH.

Cannot the '14 dash display all of the engine parameters that a '12 does ? If not you need a OBD reader.

BobsWK2 04-22-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 809496)
My '12 has always seemed strange - when the coolant is at 200F, the oil will be around 185F and the trans (5 speed) 170F. Even on a hot day.

To me this seems backwards though a lockup trans will not run as warm as one with just a TQ but particularly since the oil is cooled by the coolant.

Guage is one div under 1/2 at everything from 180 to 210. Midpoint seems to be 220 which is TDH.

Cannot the '14 dash display all of the engine parameters that a '12 does ? If not you need a OBD reader.

The 2014's have engine oil temp, trans temp and a voltmeter, but they took away the engine coolant temp digital reading. I guess they figured the analog coolant temp above the fuel gauge is good enough. What could it possibly cost to also have the digital coolant gauge. But they probably don't want the owners to know how hot the coolant temp gets, so they just leave the old style analog gauge.

bill_de 04-22-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 809507)
The 2014's have engine oil temp, trans temp and a voltmeter, but they took away the engine coolant temp digital reading. I guess they figured the analog coolant temp above the fuel gauge is good enough. What could it possibly cost to also have the digital coolant gauge. But they probably don't want the owners to know how hot the coolant temp gets, so they just leave the old style analog gauge.

How many people do you think actually look at these temps? Of those that do, how many do you think care if the temp is 180, 190, etc. As long as it's in range that's good enough for me. If I see a drastic change I take notice.

I'm sure at least one person around here has or will calculate the optimum temperature for every component in the car. Nice hobby, but in day to day driving it's pretty useless information.

---

Tempest 04-22-2013 08:21 PM

My steady-state operating temp seems to be 90-92 C.

dcar335i 04-22-2013 08:58 PM

I have seen my trans temp range from 180 - 205 when fully warm. The trans gets hottest when sitting in traffic then cools quickly down to the 180 range when I start moving.

padgett 04-22-2013 09:44 PM

I have been known to keep cars I like for decades & do not plan to change. One of the secrets to making everything under the hood last longer and the a/c work better is running the engine on the low side of "normal".

When the thermostat is a 195 that means keeping it under 200F (actually I prefer to run computer cars in the 180F-190F range & have never set a code).

My turbo-diesel RV is critical to temperature particularly EGT since it is tiny and has an aluminum head. It will produce amazing amounts of power for a short time but keep the boost above 9 psi for a long time and it will overheat. Diesels are like horses, they will keep giving the max until they fall over. Gas engines usually give warning if the driver listens.

All of my vehicles have full instrumentation, maybe have spent too much time around aircraft or due to the Jags of my yout. I no longer require an oil pressure guage though.

I do keep a minimal screen up in my heep and with a swipe can have 17 parameters up (I like tablets) but digital coolant temp, ave & inst MPG, volts, clock, tach, & speedo are enough for just running around since I cannot read the factory instruments on a bright day with sunglasses on.