Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Solution for getting rain spots out of paint? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/solution-for-getting-rain-spots-out-of-paint-5888.html)

WSP Jeep 01-24-2010 10:54 PM

Solution for getting rain spots out of paint?

My buddy has tried numerous products to get rain spots out of his paint. His Jeep is black, any suggestions that dont cost that much? Thanks

chicago_jeepster_ 01-24-2010 11:03 PM

Re: Solution for getting rain spots out of paint?

Did you try a clay bar? Depending on how bad it is you might have to wet sand the areas and go over it with a buffer... Good luck.

brent 01-25-2010 12:12 AM

How long have they been there? I haven't need anything beyond Meguiars cleaner/wax followed up with the Deep Crystal Carnuba wax. Some older spots may be etched pretty deeply. You might try some elbow grease and the cleaner/wax with a clean, soft cloth on a few of them.

The clay bar is a good recommendation too for deposits still sitting above the paint. Aged water spots that have etched into the paint surface may need a rubbing compound or something more abrasive than the cleaner/wax.

B.P.O.D 01-25-2010 02:42 PM

clay bar at first... that doest work, try swirlx, if that doesnt work try scratch x, if that doesnt work try ultimate compound.... one of those will DEFINITELY work:) all sold by meguiars.

DetailedImage.com 01-25-2010 03:12 PM

Some water with pollution or hose water can have mineral deposits in it that causes etchings in the paint. The solution really depends on how deep the etchings are. Generally a clay bar or a washing or vinegar can only remove the absolute faintest marks. This is the case in about 5% or less of the people who ask me about this topic. For the majority of people you will need to polish the surface or use a product like the Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover. The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover is a very strong cleaning formula that can help remove light to medium etchings. The other option is to polish and I start with a light polish and use more aggressive ones as need be. Sometimes I can just use a light polish but most commonly I wind up using at least a medium polish with a buffer. A buffer is a huge help because they generate the heat and pressure needed to really work in a polish. If you or your buddy would like help picking out some polishes or if you need more info about buffers that are safe and easy to use please let me know. If you have any other questions please let me know as well.

Greg @ DI

Scottina06 01-25-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSP Jeep (Post 137963)
My buddy has tried numerous products to get rain spots out of his paint. His Jeep is black, any suggestions that dont cost that much? Thanks

Meguiers M105 by hand. Got it outta my neighbors Lexus GX

B.P.O.D 01-25-2010 04:48 PM

^^^ that is good, the consumer version is ultimate compound (you can find at any local auto store)

WSP Jeep 01-30-2010 01:29 PM

So we ended up using Meguiars Ultimate Compund and it worked great. The paint looks 100% better and the water spots are gone. Thanks for the help!

THA06 01-30-2010 08:24 PM

Funny but I used viniger and water to get them out of my Black Durango when I had it and it worked?

Martyp 01-31-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THA06 (Post 141573)
Funny but I used viniger and water to get them out of my Black Durango when I had it and it worked?

I was actually gonna suggest giving that a go too...

blackpepper 07-17-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 138171)
clay bar at first... that doest work, try swirlx, if that doesnt work try scratch x, if that doesnt work try ultimate compound.... one of those will DEFINITELY work:) all sold by meguiars.

I tried all three.. nothing worked on some water spots that I have by my washer nozzles on the hood.. I left water on there and it dried up.. now I have etchings in the hood for life.. grrrrrrrr..

B.P.O.D 07-19-2010 11:20 AM

UC didn't work ryan? what were you applying it with? you can try 105 if you have some, but it might be time for a pcxp!