Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Jeep won't stay running (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/jeep-wont-stay-running-58892.html)

Jmccracken78 04-23-2013 09:39 AM

Jeep won't stay running

Ok I have a 99 grand Cherokee Laredo with the inline 6 motor. Its all stock with a lift. I was going down a trail yesterday and came to a stream crossing. I crossed it just fine but a tree was blocking the rest of the trail, so I drove in reverse back thru it. The jeep got stuck for a second in the stream and died. (The water is about 3 to 4 feet at the deepest point so the motor was in the water a little bit) I started it up and pulled right out of it. On my way home it started acting weird, threw a cel and had a rough idle. Got home, smoke was pouring out of the motor, I took the intake box off and it was filled with water. I changed the oil, took out the spark plugs and cranked it but nothing came out,
Cleaned the throttle body and put a new air filter on. It runs but as soon as you let off the gas it dies. And it's smoking black smoke. If anyone can tell me what to do here or give me a diagnosis I would appreciate it, I'm new to this forum and I'm currently looking for my answer here so if it's already posted dont bash, I'm just in a rush to get this thing running. Thanks!

Frango100 04-23-2013 09:52 AM

Re: Jeep won't stay running

Since the check engine light is on, i would start checking which fault code.is set by the PCM. Just do the key dance: ignition switch off/on three times and leave in on at the third time. The odometer will show the fault code.
Did the engine make a strange noise after you started it in the water? Since there was water in the airbox, it can be that water was sucked into the engine. Enough water in a cylinder will cause a.hydraulic lock and can.cause.damage to pistons and/or connecting rods.
Let us.know which fault is stored.

Jmccracken78 04-23-2013 02:17 PM

It doesn't come up with any codes..it says done then goes back to the mileage

Frango100 04-23-2013 10:27 PM

And is the check engine light now out?
When you removed the plugs, did you see any strange colour on any of them?
I would check the whole ignition system, since that doesn´t like water too much.

Jmccracken78 04-24-2013 09:43 AM

Yeah the check engine light is gone now. The plugs were fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Could it possibly be a sensor gone bad?

2005JGC 04-24-2013 03:02 PM

Im assuming you cleared the codes or disconnected the battery then as the CEL would not clear that quickly.

Its not going to be easy, you may have an o2 sensor that didnt appreciate being submerged in water when the jeep died and filled the exhaust with water.

Water in the air box to me would lead me straight to a compression test. You may have a bent rod that is causing low compression in one cylinder (or multiple cylinders).

If you disconnected the battery after you got back I would try putting a couple miles on it and see if you can get the CEL to come back on, disconnecting the battery would have reset the adaptive numerator and cleared the codes so if your CEL was for a specific cylinder misfire (which would be helpful as you can go straight to that cylinder) the car lacks the ability to deturmine if a cylinder is misfiring without the adaptive numerator set. The adaptive numerator is set by hard deceleration (closed throttle) so drop the shifter into 2 accelerate till your up in the 3-4k rpm range and let off the accelerator completely, allow yourself to slow down 20mph or so then do this 2-10 times... if it hasn't set by the 10th time there is something else wrong as it should set well before the 10th try if you get clean closed throttle decel's.

Jmccracken78 04-29-2013 04:43 PM

I did like you said and the cel retuned. The code is p 1297. Spark plugs have a lot of carbon build up they'll be replaced soon. Any ideas on what the code means?

Frango100 04-29-2013 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
P1297= NO CHANGE IN MAP SENSOR VOLTAGE.
Maybe water got in the sensor or connector. Remove the connector first to see how it looks. Its on the throttle body, see attached pic.

Jmccracken78 05-05-2013 03:30 PM

I checked that, it started running normal again. but there was a hole in the radiator I didn't know about so it overheated. got it back home and fixed the radiator and now its doing the same thing but the code is P0121. thanks again everyone for your help.

Frango100 05-05-2013 09:18 PM

P0121 = TPS (throttle position sensor) sensor

Jmccracken78 05-06-2013 06:59 PM

I bought a new tps and installed it. No luck, still acts the exact same

Frango100 05-06-2013 07:06 PM

Check the connectors on the PCM, could be that water in there is causing problems. Disconnect battery first before starting with the connectors.