Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Calling all "Tranny" experts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/calling-all-tranny-experts-58899.html)

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 12:05 PM

Calling all "Tranny" experts

First off, I'd like to put it out there that if you're a tranny, there is nothing wrong with that. To each their own. :thumbsup:

Secondly, I'm gathering a bunch of crap to do a full on transmission service. I've got a WIX filter kit on the way, some ATF RTV, and 2 gallons of ATF+4 on hand already. It's a 545RFE and it was serviced at 65k. I'm at 98k now and plan on doing this later this summer unless I get bored and want to do it sooner. So here's the deal. Any suggestions or recommendations on things I should be doing "while I'm in that tranny"? Other than wear the proper protective gear?

I'm considering an aftermarket pan with a drain, but those things run like $250. An OE pan is $50. I'm getting under that dirty tranny today to see if the pan is in good shape, but was curious what others have done. Chances are, the minimum I will do is replace it with an OE pan and some new stainless bolts after throwing on some additional coats of paint or bedliner.

I was also considering the TransGo kit, but based on what I've read, I'm not so sure. I'm already running a Superchips Programmer that has MASSIVELY firmed up the shifts. Will a few springs in the valve body really make that huge of a difference? I read that without a Superchips, the kit is awesome, but with the Superchips, you really don't notice a difference.

Also, any other frequently replaced items? Speed sensors? I hope to get in there, do the service and not have to worry about dropping that pan again for a REALLY long time. Let me know what you trannies think! :D

Trav1s 04-23-2013 12:18 PM

Re: Calling all "Tranny" experts

First off... I have been told since day 1 that the Mopar filters for the 545rfe are the only choice. With my trans fluid/filter change last fall (along with the PML pan) I used a Mopar pick-up filter and aftermarket spin-on filter. While they have improved the aftermarket, I still can tell a difference in shifting (especially when cold)between the Mopar and aftermarket. Next time I will spend the money and go with Mopar.

The PML pan was a bit steep but it definitely keeps the trans fluid cooler and delays converter lock-up about two miles longer than before. I like it because it allows for more fluid which is a plus in my book. There are steel choices available but I thought the aluminum pan would be better over the long haul. I do wish I would have added the power coat but that is not a big deal. You could pick up an used pan from a boneyard, sand blast it, add a drain plug, and powercoat it. Would that help the rust problem of NE Ohio?

As for the shift kit and other internal stuff, I have read mixed results on the Dodge Ram forums. Short of a rebuild with HD stuff I would say leave good enough alone, especially with the SuperChips installed.

I am going to go with SC as funds allow and go from there.

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav1s (Post 810037)
First off... I have been told since day 1 that the Mopar filters for the 545rfe are the only choice. With my trans fluid/filter change last fall (along with the PML pan) I used a Mopar pick-up filter and aftermarket spin-on filter. While they have improved the aftermarket, I still can tell a difference in shifting (especially when cold)between the Mopar and aftermarket. Next time I will spend the money and go with Mopar.

The PML pan was a bit steep but it definitely keeps the trans fluid cooler and delays converter lock-up about two miles longer than before. I like it because it allows for more fluid which is a plus in my book. There are steel choices available but I thought the aluminum pan would be better over the long haul. I do wish I would have added the power coat but that is not a big deal. You could pick up an used pan from a boneyard, sand blast it, add a drain plug, and powercoat it. Would that help the rust problem of NE Ohio?

As for the shift kit and other internal stuff, I have read mixed results on the Dodge Ram forums. Short of a rebuild with HD stuff I would say leave good enough alone, especially with the SuperChips installed.

I am going to go with SC as funds allow and go from there.

Well, the WIX filter kit is from Summit, and I'm going there this weekend and can return it...no questions asked. I've just always heard good things in general about WIX, but if Mopar is the way to go here, than that's what I'll do. If anyone else has any experience here, please say something! This is why these forums are awesome...

PML was the one I was eyeballing...if I take the plunge, I think it'll be that one. Probably powdercoated. If I stick with stock, I'll have to look around for a local powdercoater, or maybe get a price from Line-X to shoot it next time they have something in the shop. I can't imagine they'd rape me too hard.

Thanks dude!

Trav1s 04-23-2013 01:54 PM

You bet! The PML pan is amazing! Here it is after a winter #1 in Nebraska.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...psd0c96230.jpg

My dad owns a small service station in NW Ohio outside Findlay and he has fought the non-Mopar filters since day one on the 545rfe.

Lucas J 04-23-2013 01:57 PM

I can't believe nobody has made a "tranny" joke yet. :lol:

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 02:20 PM

I know, right?

Trav1s 04-23-2013 02:50 PM

I would certainly not call myself a tranny expert either... :smh:

Frango100 04-23-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas J (Post 810112)
I can't believe nobody has made a "tranny" joke yet. :lol:

He, we are serious guys (and girls) overhere!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

No expert overhere, but just my 2 cents.
I did install the Transgo kit in my transmission and it shifts quicker then it did before. During shifting, one clutch will be activated and then an other released. Due to the fact that the different clutches in there have different speeds, this "overlap" causes clutch wear. The shorter this overlap time, the less wear and less heat buildup there is.
Your superchips programmer increases the pressure, which gives bigger clutch holding power. Due to the higher pressure it will shift a bit quicker, but the overlap time will not reduce a lot. So at the end it will most probably give more wear to the clutch discs.
The Transgo kit, besides that it increases the pressure, it will also decrease the overlap time with the stronger accumulator springs. There are also a few springs inside the valve body which will be changed, and 2 new valves (can't remember now the names of the valves).
For who does a complete transmission rebuild, there are also some springs for the valves in the pump assy.
I never saw any proof that there is a real significant reduction of wear and heat though.
If you really don't want to open up that transmission pan for a long time, you could think about changing the TRS/solenoid assy.
You could change the speed sensors and the line pressure sensor. But because the speed sensors are so easy to change without opening anything (besides your wallet:D), you could just wait with that until the day a problem arrises. The line pressure sensor however would be a good thing to change, because you will never know when it regulates the pressure too low (the TCM will send the regulation signal to the pressure regulator solenoid)(because of a mis calibration of the sensor), until the moment that clutches start slipping or are already heavily worn.

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 810209)
He, we are serious guys (and girls) overhere!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

No expert overhere, but just my 2 cents.
I did install the Transgo kit in my transmission and it shifts quicker then it did before. During shifting, one clutch will be activated and then an other released. Due to the fact that the different clutches in there have different speeds, this "overlap" causes clutch wear. The shorter this overlap time, the less wear and less heat buildup there is.
Your superchips programmer increases the pressure, which gives bigger clutch holding power. Due to the higher pressure it will shift a bit quicker, but the overlap time will not reduce a lot. So at the end it will most probably give more wear to the clutch discs.
The Transgo kit, besides that it increases the pressure, it will also decrease the overlap time with the stronger accumulator springs. There are also a few springs inside the valve body which will be changed, and 2 new valves (can't remember now the names of the valves).
For who does a complete transmission rebuild, there are also some springs for the valves in the pump assy.
I never saw any proof that there is a real significant reduction of wear and heat though.
If you really don't want to open up that transmission pan for a long time, you could think about changing the TRS/solenoid assy.
You could change the speed sensors and the line pressure sensor. But because the speed sensors are so easy to change without opening anything (besides your wallet:D), you could just wait with that until the day a problem arrises. The line pressure sensor however would be a good thing to change, because you will never know when it regulates the pressure too low (the TCM will send the regulation signal to the pressure regulator solenoid)(because of a mis calibration of the sensor), until the moment that clutches start slipping or are already heavily worn.

Replacing the pressure sensor makes a lot of sense. Is it difficult to replace? Is the valve body coming out in order to install? The solenoid assembly is a little rich for me. Looks like they run about $250. That's a lot of money for preventative maintenance, but thanks for the info!

As for the shift kit, I see a lot of talk about not using the resistor if you run a Superchips. I also see a lot of talk about running the Sonnax line pressure booster instead of the resistor. I'm a bit confused. I want to keep the Superchips and get the most out of a Transgo if I decide to install one, but I don't want too much pressure by combining the Flashpaq with a resistor and/or a line pressure booster. I think the Flashpaq already serves the same purpose as the Sonnax pressure booster, and the resistor that comes with the Transgo kit, but I'm not 100% sure.

cheapjeep 04-23-2013 08:52 PM

I use Wix in mine bro.I'd gamble it's a better filter than the Mopar. Just don't use the gasket that comes with it. For all the benefits of the Transgo kit I'd do it. You just can't get that from a tuner. As far as the pan you know what I did and it's working very well. Def recommend bedliner. Just make sure the old o ring comes out with the filter. I'm also running synthetic in there now.

cheapjeep 04-23-2013 08:59 PM

Sonnax is just a fancy resistor bro. As far as running the resistor and Superchips I've been doing it for years plus I tow. Only side effect is a smile. I wouldn't let it fret ya none.

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 810369)
I use Wix in mine bro.I'd gamble it's a better filter than the Mopar. Just don't use the gasket that comes with it. For all the benefits of the Transgo kit I'd do it. You just can't get that from a tuner. As far as the pan you know what I did and it's working very well. Def recommend bedliner. Just make sure the old o ring comes out with the filter. I'm also running synthetic in there now.

Did the WIX kit come with a replacement o ring?

Thanks dude...this simple drain and refill is turning into a total monster upgrade. Any issues or surprises with your Transgo installation? It really looks pretty damn straightforward.