Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Mopar subwoofer? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/mopar-subwoofer-58908.html)

Alesasso91 04-23-2013 03:28 PM

Mopar subwoofer?

Hello all,

I have a 2012 jeep grand Cherokee and was wondering if mopar made an upgradeable subwoofer to put in the jeep? I like the sub now but would like a little more beat.

Thanks.

kkreit01 04-23-2013 03:39 PM

Re: Mopar subwoofer?

Not that I know of, and not that would be worth it it they did. The downfall is the plastic, flimsy enclosure. You can probably enhance performance by beefing up the OE enclosure, and add an aftermarket sub. It really needs a decent amp to shine as well. The alpine system is pathetic. There, I said it (again).

berk483 04-27-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alesasso91 (Post 810148)
Hello all,

I have a 2012 jeep grand Cherokee and was wondering if mopar made an upgradeable subwoofer to put in the jeep? I like the sub now but would like a little more beat.

Thanks.

JL makes a stealth box that has the same footprint as the OEM sub. Pair that with an amp and it makes for a nice upgrade others have said. I keep going back and forth in my head about starting an audio upgrade, if I did that would be part of it.

sswails 05-11-2013 10:20 AM

Just stiffen the factory box using bed liner in a can or rubberized undercoating. I've seen it done multiple times on other vehicles. Save your money on an overpriced JL stealth box. Plenty of good 8's will fit just fine.

1stJeepGC 05-11-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswails (Post 821343)
Just stiffen the factory box using bed liner in a can or rubberized undercoating. I've seen it done multiple times on other vehicles. Save your money on an overpriced JL stealth box. Plenty of good 8's will fit just fine.

Greetings,

Yes, you can go that route and stiffen the oem sub box. The are a number of fantastic 8 inch sub woofers out their.

Just a few problems I can see. For the good woofers from Alpine and JL Audio as an example, the box is not tuned right. The DSP from factory amp does a tremendous injustice in the frequency setup. The power is lacking and still lacking. The cheaper 8 inch drivers will sound the same as you had before.

It is cheaper for me to go with the overpriced JL Audio Stealth box, then going with a custom enclosure. Aa a matter in fact, I was planning dual thin 8 inch sub one for each side. The cost was not worth it. It is too bad that I missed out on the Boston Acoustics top of line sub.

This just my opinion.

Best for now.:)

sswails 05-11-2013 10:59 AM

As long as you seal it good, and pick a sub that performs well in the cu/ft space it will sound decent and save a ton of money. Plenty of 8"s out there that will sound just fine in that enclosure when sealed properly. If you need a little extra power buy a decent/cheap Class D amp.

BuckeyeSRT 05-15-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswails (Post 821343)

Please excuse my ignorance but, do you spray the outside of the plastic enclosure then reinstall?

sswails 05-16-2013 08:14 PM

I plan to spray the inside and outside with bedliner and than with acoustic spray. That will make it like a ROCK.

jgoldst99 06-02-2013 02:49 PM

What brand are you using to spray it with?

sswails 06-02-2013 03:16 PM

I bought the stuff at Walmart. I believe it was the RustOleum brand.

berk483 06-02-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswails (Post 833566)
I bought the stuff at Walmart. I believe it was the RustOleum brand.

Let us know how it turns out.

sswails 06-02-2013 08:12 PM

Turned out great.