Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   transmission clunk (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/transmission-clunk-58914.html)

nj newb 04-23-2013 05:49 PM

transmission clunk

1 Attachment(s)
so I decided to take a video of the clunk I have been hearing.

i just picked the truck up, it's a '14 v6 limited with about 120 miles.

from a standstill, if I press the gas at about 50% until I hit 10mph, then let off abruptly, I hear the transmission clunk.

is this normal? does this happen to anyone else?

(might need to turn up the volume, can be heard at :04 and :13)

nj newb 04-23-2013 05:54 PM

Re: transmission clunk

Transmission clunk - YouTube

a 2nd video

nikon858 04-23-2013 06:02 PM

If you load up the drive train then abruptly let off it will clunk, any car will clunk to some degree..is it a 4x4? If so there are even more moving parts all of which have some play in them.

nj newb 04-23-2013 06:08 PM

yes it's a 4x4, so this is common and normal?

nikon858 04-23-2013 06:40 PM

I'm only 4x2 and get some clunk when the drivetrain unloads. Remember everything shifts around a bit when you give it the gas due to rubber bushings. It's normal. I had a 4x4 Tahoe a few years back and it would clunk every time you put it into gear.

nj newb 04-23-2013 07:30 PM

so would it be naive to have not expected this clunk, only having an Audi Quattro 4 wheel drive system to compare it to?

and I'm not challenging you, just wanting to learn, as this is my first Jeep.

Thanks in advance!

nikon858 04-23-2013 07:37 PM

My first jeep too!

All I can go off is past experience with 4x4 cars. On the other hand my dad had an AWD x5 and didn't have any noticeable clunk.

I couldn't rally hear anything in your video, maybe some other 4x4 jeep owners can chime in.

Do you get the clunk other times, or just when accelerating then letting off quickly.

nj newb 04-23-2013 08:03 PM

in the embedded video you can hear it at :04 and :12.

I hear a similar sound at low speed down shifts as well, but more difficult to reproduce. But I definitely don't think the transmission should be shifting into a gear so hard that it makes a sound like that. The only other thing i can relate it to is when down shifting a manual and dropping the clutch abruptly.

can anyone else confirm hearing this?

chdavis 04-23-2013 08:25 PM

Not normal, take it in for service.

nj newb 04-24-2013 07:58 AM

dropped the car off this morning, tires also need to be balanced.

will update when I hear back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chdavis (Post 810325)
Not normal, take it in for service.

TitanFlyer 04-24-2013 08:13 AM

Ya, not normal compared to mine. No clunking noise, but its pretty aggressive at downshifting when in sport mode. It also nails the brakes when coming to a stop to "assist" my own braking.. hate that.

nj newb 04-24-2013 08:27 AM

I'm thinking I'll ask to drive another '14 if they say it's normal to see if it is something I can replicate in another truck.

i'm hoping it's something simple, given I have under 200 miles. But not really sure what it could be, it sounds like the transmission is slamming into 2nd gear if it shifts with no throttle.

any ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanFlyer (Post 810579)
Ya, not normal compared to mine. No clunking noise, but its pretty aggressive at downshifting when in sport mode. It also nails the brakes when coming to a stop to "assist" my own braking.. hate that.