Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Daytime running lights - limited no LED lights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/daytime-running-lights-limited-no-led-lights-58921.html)

kirk1233 04-23-2013 09:22 PM

Daytime running lights - limited no LED lights

I have a limited with the boring old headlights / running lights setup. When I turn my turn signal on, the running light for the turning side goes off but the other one stays on? Is this normal?

bill_de 04-23-2013 09:24 PM

Re: Daytime running lights - limited no LED lights

Somebody posted somewhere that it is done to make the turn signal show up better.

viper99 04-23-2013 10:35 PM

Yes this is normal, in Canada, not sure of the USA, if the daytime running light is within a certain distance of the signal light (not sure of the exact measurement), then the day time running light must go out for better visibility
of the signal lamp.

Copefree 04-24-2013 12:05 AM

Normal.

Same thing happens with the LED Overland running lights (bothers me a little bit). But, totally normal and you'll even see it with a lot of other makes/models of vehicles.

AAAA 04-24-2013 06:59 AM

Keep eye open. You'll notice it on other makes alsol

Jeff_H2O 04-24-2013 09:33 AM

I just posted a Thread on this too.

So after reading through many posts and even seeing some youtube videos, I noticed that when running the 2014 LED DRL's they will shut off when the turn signal comes on. When I first saw that, I was kind of dissapointed as I think it looks tacky (looks like a lamp burnt out) and now I'm afraid I wouldn't want to use my turn signal as much.

Anyone who already has an Overland, Summit or LuxII do you know if there is a way to keep the DRL's on when signaling?
  • What happens if you switch the DRL's on manually, will they stay on then?
  • Or if you turn on the DRL's with the Fog lights, will they stay on then?
  • I'm pretty sure they at least stay on when the HID's are lit and signaling, correct?
I've seen this happen before on other vehicles like the Chrysler 300 and I always thought it looked dumb. It's unfortunate to see the Jeep is now the same way. Thanks for any info on this!

Copefree 04-24-2013 09:38 AM

^ I just posted an answer in the thread you started about this.

BTW, BWM and Audi do the same thing.

Jeff_H2O 04-24-2013 09:43 AM

I saw that, thanks Copefree, very helpful info! I feel a little better now about it lol

rubicontrail.net 04-24-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H2O (Post 810631)
I just posted a Thread on this too.

So after reading through many posts and even seeing some youtube videos, I noticed that when running the 2014 LED DRL's they will shut off when the turn signal comes on. When I first saw that, I was kind of dissapointed as I think it looks tacky (looks like a lamp burnt out) and now I'm afraid I wouldn't want to use my turn signal as much.

Anyone who already has an Overland, Summit or LuxII do you know if there is a way to keep the DRL's on when signaling?
  • What happens if you switch the DRL's on manually, will they stay on then?
  • Or if you turn on the DRL's with the Fog lights, will they stay on then?
  • I'm pretty sure they at least stay on when the HID's are lit and signaling, correct?
I've seen this happen before on other vehicles like the Chrysler 300 and I always thought it looked dumb. It's unfortunate to see the Jeep is now the same way. Thanks for any info on this!

This for your own safety. It increases the visibility of the blinking light. :confused:

BobsWK2 04-24-2013 07:18 PM

I think it was a Porsche that normally had the white DRL's but when it activated the turn signal, the LED's turned amber. That looked great but I bet it cost a small fortune to be able to do that.