Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/ugh-just-noticed-hatch-misalignment-59036.html)

Copefree 04-26-2013 12:29 AM

Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
I know, first world problems on a $48k rig. Sno posted that photo earlier of his "tight" alignment and I went out to really inspect my '14 Overland closely. All I've really done in the past is look at the left/right alignment and it appeared perfect so that was that and I didn't think about it again.

However, I noticed upon close inspection tonight that my left tail lamp assembly pieces (the inner and outer) don't match up perfectly as the right tail lamp assembly does.

Bottom photo shows the "problem" left tail lamp assembly:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...45d7341a96.jpg

Yes, it's very slight. And I've never noticed it until tonight (had the Jeep 15 days). You can see that the actual hatch doesn't match up perfectly either (the painted part along the top).

Forget about it?

dslide 04-26-2013 01:08 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
Probably forget about it unless it creates a problem. The one complaint I have about my '12 WK2 is that I hear an occassional "pop" or cracking type sound from the liftgate area. No idea how else to describe it. Don't know what it is or where exactly it comes from, but my lift gate also appears a bit misaligned. Doesn't look as bad as yours, but the gaps on the left are a little bigger than the gaps on the right side, especially where the glass is. I showed it to the service manager when I was in for an oil change, but of course it didn't make the sound the entire time I was there. You're likely the only person that will ever notice it... but because you do it may bug the shit out of you.

SnoFire 04-26-2013 04:35 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
I would forget about it. When I picked mine up yesterday, I looked at the tailgate as well to make sure. I really only noticed the right tail light was really close but the gaps on the sides of the tailgate were fine. I brought it up to the dealer and said it shouldn't be a problem, if it is he will take it and try to fix it. I'm not worried at all since the closing of the tailgate is automatic.

JWS360 04-26-2013 07:27 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copefree (Post 811907)
I know, first world problems on a $48k rig. Sno posted that photo earlier of his "tight" alignment and I went out to really inspect my '14 Overland closely. All I've really done in the past is look at the left/right alignment and it appeared perfect so that was that and I didn't think about it again.

However, I noticed upon close inspection tonight that my left tail lamp assembly pieces (the inner and outer) don't match up perfectly as the right tail lamp assembly does.

Bottom photo shows the "problem" left tail lamp assembly:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...45d7341a96.jpg

Yes, it's very slight. And I've never noticed it until tonight (had the Jeep 15 days). You can see that the actual hatch doesn't match up perfectly either (the painted part along the top).

Forget about it?

How in the world does that get past quality inspection both at the factory AND dealer?

Details matter, especially when prices climb past 40K......

I'd send a letter to the factory. Its the only way they can fix things going forward.

bill_de 04-26-2013 07:51 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
I'd say if you have to specifically look for a problem to notice it, leave it alone.

Picking a price point where things should be perfect seems silly to me. I guess if it was a $75,000 car some would say anything over $70,000 is that point. To somebody who spent $25,000, I guess $20,000 would do it.

Everybody wants their vehicle to look great. But at the end of the day it is not a work of art, it's a machine that will be with you for a few years and then forgotten.

If you didn't have to go "looking for trouble", then I would say have the dealer do something about.

IMHO --- :)

mceb 04-26-2013 08:10 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
Is it something that is easily adjusted? If so dealer might be glad to fix.

TitanFlyer 04-26-2013 08:14 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 811979)
I'd say if you have to specifically look for a problem to notice it, leave it alone.

Picking a price point where things should be perfect seems silly to me. I guess if it was a $75,000 car some would say anything over $70,000 is that point. To somebody who spent $25,000, I guess $20,000 would do it.

Everybody wants their vehicle to look great. But at the end of the day it is not a work of art, it's a machine that will be with you for a few years and then forgotten.

If you didn't have to go "looking for trouble", then I would say have the dealer do something about.

IMHO --- :)

Sorry, but I totally 100 percent disagree with you on this. Automobiles are likely the second largest purchases most of us make in our lives, and they don't really last that long for what we pay for them.

These companies pay people in the factories a LOT of money (my opinion) to make sure that these things are built to a top quality level. I agree there is nothing we can do if a part or component fails, but to brush off crappy work done by a guy or gal whose soul reason for taking home a paycheck is to make sure their part of the process is perfect 100 percent of the time, well thats not the way I think most of us feel.

If you were to ask any assembly plant manager for any vehicle, how many avoidable defects (misaligned panels and lights etc) he would find acceptable, his answer would not even be thought about.. ZERO. It doesn't matter if he is making the dodge dart or the rolls royce.

Sorry, my wife has been nasty to me this morning, and just got back from a business trip, so I am maybe crusty this morning, but thats how I feel.

Whats in that picture is a story of a guy/girl who put that light assembly on, saw it was misaligned, and said "screw it, they probably won't notice."

markp99 04-26-2013 08:16 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
I had a similar misalignment on my DS passenger door. Drove me crazy in an OCD sort of way.

Showed the dealer, he agreed, but noted I'd need to make a bodyshop appointment to get it addressed. "Ain't nobody got time for 'that!" :)

That was a ~year ago, never got it adjusted, never see it anymore...

I vote to ignore it.

glock17 04-26-2013 08:20 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
I just noticed mine as well is off - I am thinking it is the latch that needs adjustment - when it closes it appears to be even but as soon as it hits the latch to lock it shifts to the left in my case (could be right in yours). I'm going to look for a way to see if the latch is adjustable.

SnoFire 04-26-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanFlyer (Post 811991)

Sorry, but I totally 100 percent disagree with you on this. Automobiles are likely the second largest purchases most of us make in our lives, and they don't really last that long for what we pay for them.

These companies pay people in the factories a LOT of money (my opinion) to make sure that these things are built to a top quality level. I agree there is nothing we can do if a part or component fails, but to brush off crappy work done by a guy or gal whose soul reason for taking home a paycheck is to make sure their part of the process is perfect 100 percent of the time, well thats not the way I think most of us feel.

If you were to ask any assembly plant manager for any vehicle, how many avoidable defects (misaligned panels and lights etc) he would find acceptable, his answer would not even be thought about.. ZERO. It doesn't matter if he is making the dodge dart or the rolls royce.

Sorry, my wife has been nasty to me this morning, and just got back from a business trip, so I am maybe crusty this morning, but thats how I feel.

Whats in that picture is a story of a guy/girl who put that light assembly on, saw it was misaligned, and said "screw it, they probably won't notice."

The robots actually do the rear gate, not humans. Should it be perfect? You would think. But for me it isn't a gate issue, it is the light that might be off. I'm not slamming it as it is electronically closing so it shouldn't be a problem. If it does I will get it fixed. With everything that is happening to people's cars, I'm ok with this.

scooterha 04-26-2013 08:37 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
My12 passengers side door is misaligned. I didn't notice it until a friend pointed it... Jerk. It doesn't bother me as much now as it did I just ignore it now. Only qualm I have with my12 is the self load leveling shocks, but you know what? It's my problem that I haven't had it in to have them replace them. I agree with what Bill_de said. No car no matter how much it cost is "perfect".

TitanFlyer 04-26-2013 08:42 AM

Re: Ugh, just noticed hatch misalignment?
 
No car will be perfect, as that definition is variable for sure, but somewhere along the line of people who had eyeballs on a misaligned door, the QC process fails. My point (if I really have one) is that if we don't expect near perfection, and don't complain or push when we don't get it, we will be driving Johnny Cash's cadillac some day (reference "One Piece at a Time")...lol.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community