Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Extra Force to Shut Driver's Door? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/extra-force-to-shut-drivers-door-59076.html)

triker 04-26-2013 09:20 PM

Extra Force to Shut Driver's Door?

I don't know if I'm just imagining it or if there is a problem, but when I shut the driver's door on my 2014 Limited I picked up Monday it seems I need extra force to close it completely. I find that I am shutting it twice nearly every time I close it to get it completely shut. I'm comparing it to a 2011 Charter R/T that I had and to the other doors on the GJC. Is it possible the door needs re-aligned? Is there a way I can test for this before I raise an issue with the service advisor? Am I just imagining things and need to get used to using extra force to shut the door?

After reading the issues regarding alignment of the tailgate, I want to make sure I get all possible issues fixed as soon as possible to get the best attention possible from the dealer.

mka18 04-26-2013 09:38 PM

Re: Extra Force to Shut Driver's Door?

Mine is the same way. I had mine taken in a bit because it stuck out. Little more force needed but its better than it was before sticking out like it wasn't closed. Even before they took it in I had to close it multiple times. My 2012 wasn't like that and the other doors are fine as well. Just something to get use to I suppose.

jerryw1000 04-26-2013 10:33 PM

Yep, have had to shut mine twice a few times too. I haven't decided yet whether it's the fit or air tight. Keep trying to remember to crack a window on the other side and try it a few times.

MusicAgent 04-26-2013 10:57 PM

Same here, I think it's air tight.

jgc4ever 04-26-2013 11:03 PM

I just had to do that today and I've had my 2012 for a year and a half. I know I just didn't close it with enough force though.

kennzz05 04-26-2013 11:12 PM

it sounds like it is an airtite issue but i would think there should be a vent somewhere with a oneway flapper to allow the interior to vent

TEXX 04-27-2013 01:14 AM

I have the same problem on my 2014. If I keep my hand on the door the whole way until it is closed, it generally shuts. But if I just push it and don't follow through, it almost never closes all of the way and I feel like I really have to slam it. I drove my truck's twin (literally built directly behind it on the line) for a weekend before taking mine home and it did not have this problem at all. I'm afraid to have the dealer adjust it at all though, for fear of creating a rattle or anything. It needs just the slightest adjustment.

bill_de 04-27-2013 05:42 AM

It's just a nice tight seal. Part of the reason for a nice quiet cabin. In short order you will build up enough strength to close it in one try.

triker 04-27-2013 07:09 AM

I'm glad to hear that is something others have noticed. Thanks!

f1anatic 04-27-2013 07:31 AM

Mine also - but I was told it has two seals to insure water tightness when fording a water stream

TEXX 04-27-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 812512)
It's just a nice tight seal. Part of the reason for a nice quiet cabin. In short order you will build up enough strength to close it in one try.

Negative- it's called the door is misadjusted. Do you have to slam the door on a Mercedes, BMW, Range Rover, etc? No. That's what Jeep is trying to say their product compares to, so that's what they need to match. I've never had a vehicle that required this much force to securely close a door, but I have had quieter cabins. As I stated before, I had the Jeep built directly behind mine for three days before picking mine up from the dealer and this was definitely not a problem with that unit.

sswails 04-27-2013 08:55 AM

My 2013 Touareg closes easily compared to my 2013 Jeep. Germans just know how to do it.