Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Ride stiffness '13 vs. '14 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/ride-stiffness-13-vs-14-a-59086.html)

Tony407 04-27-2013 01:10 AM

Ride stiffness '13 vs. '14

Earlier this year I test drove a 2013 SRT and was surprised how stiff the ride was. In my neighborhood (and quite a few areas I drive) there are dozens of big speed "humps" that are designed to slow you down to about 25-30 mph. I don't usually complain about stiff suspensions (I have an '06 Mustang GT w/ the Ford Racing handling package) but the SRT was just way too harsh for my tastes. I've been searching and watching a lot of YouTube reviews but can't seem to find the answer to the question: Is the '14 softer than the '13 for daily use on city streets?

Tony

Scottina06 04-27-2013 04:46 AM

Same suspension. Did u have the suspension set to track?

Tony407 04-27-2013 06:48 PM

Re: Ride stiffness '13 vs. '14

Nope. Although I tried both.

Thanks.

Tony

mjw930 05-05-2013 10:01 AM

A lot of what you are feeling is the stiffness of the tires. It's a balancing act, that stiffness give the truck quick handling at speed but can make speed bumps and bad pavement a bitch. Some have changed to non-runflat tires and noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality but the jury is out what it does to the precision of the vehicle at speed.

I will probably go to a standard tire when these need replacement mostly because I can't justify the $450 / corner for the Pirelli's.

mangoe 05-05-2013 11:06 AM

Same 20 inch run flats the BMW X5 M series have,the tires have some advantages if you get a punctured tire in a high crime neighborhood,you can still drive the vehicle at certain speed in comfort where you don't have to stop and change the tire right away,that is why they called it run flat,a little bit more expensive than regular tires,you can either drive to a service station or drive home on that flat tire,and drive again on the same flat tire the next day or whenever to a service station and get your tire repaired by professional tire repaired folks.

mangoe 05-05-2013 11:22 AM

How far can a car continue to drive safely on a Run-Flat tire after a puncture?

Please refer to the individual vehicle manual for the maximum speed and distance the car can be driven safely after a puncture as it is subject to certain conditions such as weight and structural design.
For example, BMW guarantees that the Z4 is able to be driven up to a distance of 160 kilometers at a speed of up to 80 kilometers per hour after a puncture.

Do Run-Flat tires compromise comfort?

As the quality of the rubber differs from conventional tires, handling may appear a little stiff at times. There is almost no difference in comfort relative to conventional tires in cars where Run-Flats are standard equipment, however, as they are specifically designed for that type of tire.

Bridgestone Run-Flat tires let you drive up to 50 miles at 50 mph after a flat. ... However, we recommend using them on cars specifically designed for Run-Flats, or at ... far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained.

Tony407 05-05-2013 11:43 AM

Will 18 or 19-inch wheels fit on the SRT? I'm assuming the Brembos would be the limiting factor.

Tony

Scottina06 05-05-2013 02:14 PM

maybe a custom set of 19" The 6 pistons brembos with 14" rotors will be the problem