Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Wheel rub sound? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/wheel-rub-sound-59088.html)

Black_Atom 04-27-2013 02:43 AM

Wheel rub sound?

Its been a year and 8 months since I've had my Grand Cherokee and since the day i bought it its been making a rubbing sound when i make my turns and was wondering if this is common? at first i thought they might be rubbing against my wheel wells but i zip tied them away from my wheels but i'm still hearing it and i think its coming from the back to.

Frango100 04-27-2013 05:04 AM

Re: Wheel rub sound?

Could be a problem with the quadra drive system. Too low limited slip in the fluid will cause a wheel to slip when making tight turns. Did you change the fluids already?
Or are you running bigger tires, which rub against some part?

Black_Atom 04-28-2013 01:59 AM

I don't think i have a quadra drive system? and everything is stock. This might be a dumb question but what fluids are you talking about?

kennzz05 04-28-2013 04:32 AM

differential fluids

Black_Atom 04-28-2013 04:26 PM

is there a certain way to change it and where can i get differential fluid?

Frango100 04-28-2013 05:29 PM

As far as i know all HO jeeps have Quadra Drive. This 4 wheel drive system uses Vari-lok differentials. The Vari-lok locks both wheels on the same axle when a speed difference between those two wheels occurs. But when making a turn, the inner wheel travels less distance then the outer wheel, already causing the vari-lok to engage. One of the two wheels will slip and make a strange noise. To prevent this from happening, a limited slip additive needs to be added to the diff fluid. This additive permits (as the name already states) a limited amount of slip in the vari-lok, which is enough to make tight turns without the slipping.
Seems that the additive wears out over time, so its probably time for fresh fluid with additive.

Black_Atom 04-29-2013 01:19 AM

So even if my jeep isn't a 4WD it has this feature? where can i get limited slip additive? is there a certain brand or type i should use? Sorry for all the questions am a bit of a n00b

Frango100 04-29-2013 01:59 AM

No, if the jeep is a 2 wheel drive, then there is no forward differential, so no vari-lok. The rear differential could have a vari-lok, which was part of the factory tow package.
But are you not sure that the noise is coming from the front?

Trav1s 04-29-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 813303)
As far as i know all HO jeeps have Quadra Drive. This 4 wheel drive system uses Vari-lok differentials. The Vari-lok locks both wheels on the same axle when a speed difference between those two wheels occurs. But when making a turn, the inner wheel travels less distance then the outer wheel, already causing the vari-lok to engage. One of the two wheels will slip and make a strange noise. To prevent this from happening, a limited slip additive needs to be added to the diff fluid. This additive permits (as the name already states) a limited amount of slip in the vari-lok, which is enough to make tight turns without the slipping.
Seems that the additive wears out over time, so its probably time for fresh fluid with additive.

Nope - QTII in my 2004 Columbia Ed FWIW

Black_Atom 04-29-2013 09:19 PM

Well am going to investigate further into the rubbing sound. am really not sure if the sound is from the front or back i need somebody outside to listen as i make a turn. as for the rear differential what should i use when i change its fluids?

Frango100 04-29-2013 09:53 PM

We need to know if it has an open differential or that it has a vari-lok in it.
It can have a factory tow package, which normally included a vari-lok.
For an open diff it uses 80W90 mineral. With vari-lok it uses 75W140 synthetic with limited slip additive.
Also if it doesn´t have a vari-lok, but you do tow, it also needs 75W140 (but without the limited slip additive).

Black_Atom 04-30-2013 03:33 AM

i cant tow since i dont have a hitch. how do i find out if its an open dif or a vari-lok?