Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Buyiing a Jeep today, Opinions? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/buyiing-a-jeep-today-opinions-59092.html)

bigpappy33 04-27-2013 07:34 AM

Buyiing a Jeep today, Opinions?

Hey guys, first time poster, been lurking around here for a while. Thought I had my mind made up on a left over 2012 Overland with the hemi and saddle interior. Then I went and sat in a Granite 2014 Limited V6 with the 20s and now I am rethinking my decision.

Both cars would come out the about the same price, the only thing I don't like about the 2012 is it is red and I really like the granite color on the 14s. Any other negatives on going with the older model? I like the new screen and features on the 14', and the 8 speed transmission really made the V6 feel just as peppy as the V8 (plus the mileage!) But I will miss the sound of a V8 and a few of the Overland features like the bigger sunroof and ventilated seats. I also wish the limited had the luxII package (impossible to find without ordering) for those HID headlights etc, but I figure I can swap them out eventually right?

Any last minute ideas you guys feel I am overlooking?

bill_de 04-27-2013 07:53 AM

Re: Buyiing a Jeep today, Opinions?

Limiteds with LuxII should start showing up on the lots soon. They were not available to order for quite some time.

I think SnoFire was one of the first to order one and he just got it.

First, go to Jeep.com and build one with a LuxII and then hit the search button. There just might be one either on a lot, or in transit. Unless you are in a hurry, wait a couple of weeks and check again.

The Overland pluses over the Limited with LuxII are not that much, and are in part appearance items. If you start out by not liking the color, are the rest of the gains worth it to you?

bigpappy33 04-27-2013 08:16 AM

The only problem with doing that is it makes the 2014 kind of break my budget to add on the luxII. Id love to buy a limited luxII with the hemi in granite, but I am already kind of stretching it to afford this one. The Overland is a really good deal based on original MSRP, but comparing them side by side the 14 interior really stepped it up. I have them both down around 37k.

The only other option I could think of is to keep looking for a Mineral Gray 12 Overland to get the color I like.

scooterha 04-27-2013 08:34 AM

Search and see if there are any MG O's out there. If you don't like the exterior color you aren't going to like the car at all.

Roki303 04-27-2013 08:41 AM

If you are thinking about buying off the LOT, don't!!! Most of the vehicles that you see on the lot are early builds and have tons of issues. You will curse the day that you bought it.

If you can order, order. Even better, if you can wait couple of months, wait and get it off the lot.

2012 ... nah ... to me this is like a buying an old model. For almost the same price, why would you? Tons of upgrades in 2014 and older models look dated. The only scenario that I would consider if I would get a total steal of a deal.

If you like saddle and MG (like me) than you are screwed ... Billet is lighter than MG (but looks actually good), granite is darker (almost like Dark Charcoal color on 2011 models).

Just my $0.02.

padgett 04-27-2013 09:59 AM

Part of the reason I bought a '12 instead of an '11 was a year less depreciation and essentially zero miles for the same price. Also the demonstrator had exactly what I wanted so bought it.

Unless something strange is going on, I've always been able to buy a car on a lot cheaper than a special order (and have ordered cars before when what I wanted was not common).

Bugs, yes new models have bugs but as flashes come out they get added. At least with a '14 the V6 head issue seems to be sorted (and would not be suprised to see it pop up again with warm weather returning). Other than a tailgate alignment (easy to spot if you look) most seem to be computer issues (and if anything made me trade it would be for a legible dash).

torifile 04-27-2013 10:09 AM

Regarding the models on the lot being early production - I don't think that's necessary true. My dealer *just* took delivery of many of his 2014s. They are not necessarily any earlier than any already delivered.

nickyj 04-27-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torifile (Post 812606)
Regarding the models on the lot being early production - I don't think that's necessary true. My dealer *just* took delivery of many of his 2014s. They are not necessarily any earlier than any already delivered.

I agree. I bought my 2014 Overland off the lot and it was an early (Feb) build and I have had no issues whatsoever. My 2011 Limited was a late build but had a few issues that needed to be corrected. I really think that it is the luck of the draw as to whether or not you will have issues. Also, with the 14's not being a total redesign and just a "refresh" any issues should be limited.

bigpappy33 04-27-2013 12:58 PM

Well guys as luck would have it I found a 14' limited at another dealer with the luxII package!!!! Getting a great deal on it (almost the same as the non-lux granite one). It's black which is ok with me, last car was black so I can handle it. Pictures to come later!! From what I have seen the lux II seems well worth it.

bigpappy33 04-27-2013 03:11 PM

Few quick pictures! Love it so far. Very happy I found the luxII. No regrets now.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/28/aqe2ezyn.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/28/y5uja3um.jpg

And the car I left for the Jeep...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/28/ge3eqy6u.jpg

GBJeep 04-27-2013 03:16 PM

Nice Jeep - Congrats!

AAAA 04-27-2013 03:32 PM

Nice Jeep. Nice 'tang too.