Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Fog Lamp Activation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/fog-lamp-activation-59097.html)

jreynolds 04-27-2013 10:33 AM

Fog Lamp Activation

1 Attachment(s)
So I just installed the factory fog light kit on my Jeep and now all is left is to have the fog lamps activated with a starscan tool. I have from Mopar the instructions how to do it and it seems very simple. Do you think the stealership will charge very much to do it? It is on page 4 of my instructions attached.

Drew 04-27-2013 01:34 PM

Re: Fog Lamp Activation

Most of the dealers I've ever run into charge a minimum of 1 hour labor to do anything.

dr.lee.baugh 04-27-2013 03:52 PM

For things like that, I would wait until you are taking it in for something else. In fact, the only time I have taken my Jeep to the dealership for an oil change is if I have something to have flashed at the same time...

I usually book it in for whatever I need doing, and then once I am there casually mention that it would be great to have such and such done at the same time.

If they charge me at all, it has never been for more than 1/2 an hour work.

jreynolds 04-28-2013 10:30 AM

Heres the thing, I dont use the dealership for anything because they charge so much. I have my own machanic. Is there any other place that would have access to do this?

dr.lee.baugh 04-29-2013 08:51 AM

Afraid not - some things just have to be done with dealer specific tools. It is possible that some local shop has ponied up the thousands it costs for a StarScan/WiTECH or whatever, but very doubtful. It's ~$80 to have the dealership activate it. The time you spend trying to find a place that'll shave $20 or $30 off of that number will likely be worth more than you are saving...

Have you even phoned a couple of dealerships to get an estimate of the cost? They may cut you a break and all of this is for nothing...

jreynolds 04-29-2013 11:37 AM

I just called the local Jeep and dodge dealer and he said it would take an hour, for 89.99. I highly doubt it will take an hour, I have the instructions from Mopar right in front of me.

2005JGC 05-02-2013 12:34 AM

It wont take an hour, that is flat rate. Your best bet is going to be to say "I know its not going to take an hour having said that I understand your charge is your charge, so if your tech could just bring it up when he is done instead of sitting on it to make me feel better about paying an hour labor I would MUCH appreciate it".

MOST dealers (in general, not just Chrysler, not just domestics, MOST dealers in general) have a minimum 1 hr charge to just hook the scan tool up, be happy their price is so low, my dealer I worked for was different dependent on how much was being spent, but I think we were up at 110-115 an hour when I left.

Even your "mechanic" charges you for time when he wasn't working (if he is a decent tech). That is flat rate, there are also crappy cars where EVERY tech spends time that he is not getting paid to diagnose. There are cars where every tech gets a job done well before the sold time. It is the business, not the dealership.

Also if you go in with a good attitude you could politely ask if the could enable them for "export" and this will leave them on with your high beams. Due to lighting laws in the states you can only have 4 forward facing lamps at a time and because the low beams stay on with the high beams it cuts the fog lamps when switched to highs... this is not so in export. It is illegal so there is a great possibility you get either a writer or a tech that refuses this service but its worth asking if ya care.

Madanio24 05-05-2013 03:07 PM

I got denied for export mode in MD. I will try again!