Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Beach driving (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/beach-driving-59127.html)

torifile 04-27-2013 10:44 PM

Beach driving
 
Now that I have a jeep, I'm interested in using it. Any thoughts or caveats when planning a trip? My jeep doesn't have ORA. Is that going to be a problem? I know about the permits, etc. I'm just interested in hearing about the logistics of it.

torifile 04-27-2013 11:11 PM

Re: Beach driving
 
A relevant piece of info: My Jeep has the 20" wheels. I am worried about "sand-blasting" them. Do I need to pick up some steel rims for this type of excursion?

kennzz05 04-28-2013 04:15 AM

Re: Beach driving
 
i would think it really matters what type of sand youre talking about. deep soft, or mostly hard type. if its deep soft you will definitely need to air down the tires and since 20 in tires dont have much of a side wall im guessing they would virtually useless in soft sand i doubt you would damage the wheels unless however you get buried and continually spin the tires trying to dig out if you are going to a remote area alone dont forget some self recovery items, shovel and something hard to put under the tires to drive on, and a decent jack

CityCrawler 04-28-2013 07:33 PM

Re: Beach driving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 813009)
i would think it really matters what type of sand youre talking about. deep soft, or mostly hard type. if its deep soft you will definitely need to air down the tires and since 20 in tires dont have much of a side wall im guessing they would virtually useless in soft sand i doubt you would damage the wheels unless however you get buried and continually spin the tires trying to dig out if you are going to a remote area alone dont forget some self recovery items, shovel and something hard to put under the tires to drive on, and a decent jack

Not true, before I swapped tires I aired down my 20" Forteras to 18 psi and had no trouble at all in the deep stuff.

dubwarren 04-28-2013 08:19 PM

20" tires do fine in soft sand, if they're aired down to 20 psi.

Lowering tire pressure reduces the chance of getting stuck and reduces wear on the vehicle.

Items I carry along on every beach driving trip-

Tire pressure gauge
Bumper jack with a board to support
Tow straps
Flashlights if driving at night
Shovel

I usually try to stay in the ruts created by other drivers when I'm in the really soft stuff and obviously, avoid salt water at all costs.






Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

bill_de 04-28-2013 08:33 PM

Re: Beach driving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubwarren (Post 813394)
20" tires do fine in soft sand, if they're aired down to 20 psi.

Lowering tire pressure reduces the chance of getting stuck and reduces wear on the vehicle.

Items I carry along on every beach driving trip-

Tire pressure gauge
Bumper jack with a board to support
Tow straps
Flashlights if driving at night
Shovel

I usually try to stay in the ruts created by other drivers when I'm in the really soft stuff and obviously, avoid salt water at all costs.

How old is this list? :)

Or do they really still make bumper jacks?



.

kennzz05 04-28-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 813405)

How old is this list? :)

Or do they really still make bumper jacks?

.

Hi lift jack

padgett 04-29-2013 07:14 AM

Re: Beach driving
 
They make bumper jacks, they just don't make bumpers any more.

If you plan to keep the heep for a while only drive on fresh water beaches. seeing the effects of salt on beach cars is not for anyone who does not like rust. I have seen whole rear ends when opening a trunk.

bill_de 04-29-2013 07:39 AM

Re: Beach driving
 
I've been driving salt water beaches since 1987. Rusted out vehicles have been few and far between for a long time. Of course I'm talking about driving on the beach, not in the ocean.

Before they started galvanizing everything but the roof, it was a different story. GM and Ford started doing this awhile ago on their off road rated vehicles, I hope Jeep does the same.

JABEACHFANZ 04-29-2013 08:07 AM

Re: Beach driving
 
Take a 5 gallon bucket. If you do get stuck you can pour a bucket of water near the tires to firm it up a little and it helps somewhat.

dubwarren 04-29-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 813405)
How old is this list? :)

Or do they really still make bumper jacks?



.

14 minutes old as of the time of your post. Seriously, you don't know about bumper jacks? Someone with vast beach driving knowledge such as yourself should have 2 or 3 lying around I would think.

I've never had the misfortune of getting stuck on the beach and needed to use the jack, but the people who've borrowed it from me swore by it.

Thanks for the reply bill, your insight is invaluable.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

UNCjeepWK2 04-30-2013 12:11 PM

Dare I say the fix is in?? Just noticed as of 4/27/13 there is a TSB for 2011-13 WK2s experiencing the SERV 4WD warning and 4wd disengaging.

Check it out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community