Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   HID's and DRL's (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/hids-and-drls-59130.html)

dmak170 04-28-2013 12:03 AM

HID's and DRL's

I know there are a lot of threads on how to do this, but no one seems to have an answer for disabling them on a 2012 Laredo X (halogen headlamp).

I installed HID's (high and low beams); my Jeep must use the high beam at lower power for the DRL's, but with the HID's, it runs them at full power.

I have tried pulling the relays with no such luck. I have read that the use of a Star scan tool may work, but I really don't want to dish out that sort of cash.

I live in Canada where DRL's are mandatory, and I haven't tried yet but I doubt the dealer would help me, as others on this site have already tried.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks.

kennzz05 04-28-2013 04:02 AM

Re: HID's and DRL's

think ya might be screwed or just run the low beams all the time, dont know if it was on this site or the srt site but someone mentioned putting the high beams on a switch so they could turn off the drl

Scottina06 04-28-2013 05:09 AM

Just unplug the harness from the bulb

kennzz05 04-28-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 813019)
Just unplug the harness from the bulb

Does that mean he won't have any hi beams at all? Which kind of negates the installation of HID high beams after thinking about it again don't they use a separate bulb for the daytime running lights and the high and lows are one bulb? I dunno really since I don't own one, sorry

VPExhaust 04-28-2013 06:15 PM

I'm having low beam issues with my hid's. Only one will light and I have the Mopar harness from "The Retorfit Source". I'm ready to call it off. I've never had so much trouble.

xJoshxx 04-28-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VPExhaust (Post 813322)
I'm having low beam issues with my hid's. Only one will light and I have the Mopar harness from "The Retorfit Source". I'm ready to call it off. I've never had so much trouble.

Should of bought the harness from jeep addicted he was the one who made the first plug and play harnesses.

VPExhaust 04-28-2013 07:08 PM

Never heard of that harness. Where can it be found?

I'd hate to piss away more money on this only to find out the polarity on one wire needed to be switched.

xJoshxx 04-28-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VPExhaust (Post 813351)
Never heard of that harness. Where can it be found?

I'd hate to piss away more money on this only to find out the polarity on one wire needed to be switched.

Did you check polarity? You could of damaged the canbus relay in the harness.

VPExhaust 04-28-2013 07:20 PM

Both Morimoto relays are lighting up (red led) and switching with the vehicle. You can see them move as the covers are cear.

It's odd. One works, then I move it to the opposite side and it works there, but the two will not go on together.

loveracing1988 04-28-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmak170 (Post 812971)
I know there are a lot of threads on how to do this, but no one seems to have an answer for disabling them on a 2012 Laredo X (halogen headlamp).

I installed HID's (high and low beams); my Jeep must use the high beam at lower power for the DRL's, but with the HID's, it runs them at full power.

I have tried pulling the relays with no such luck. I have read that the use of a Star scan tool may work, but I really don't want to dish out that sort of cash.

I live in Canada where DRL's are mandatory, and I haven't tried yet but I doubt the dealer would help me, as others on this site have already tried.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks.

Either don't run HIDs for your high beams, or just run them at all times using a relay harness.

kennzz05 04-29-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VPExhaust (Post 813364)
Both Morimoto relays are lighting up (red led) and switching with the vehicle. You can see them move as the covers are cear.

It's odd. One works, then I move it to the opposite side and it works there, but the two will not go on together.

Do the relays utilize power directly from the battery via the jump start terminals to power the ballasts? Are you testing with motor running?

VPExhaust 04-29-2013 08:04 AM

Yes, directly from the positive terminal in the engine bay. Ground is on the ground for jumping.

Test is with engine off.