Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   New radiator and trans fittings leaking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/new-radiator-and-trans-fittings-leaking-59147.html)

hoffmanestates 04-28-2013 11:29 AM

New radiator and trans fittings leaking
 
So i replaced my radiator.with a vista pro from rockauto. And the brass fittings they give you i screwed them in and installed the trans lines on and the schmuck is leaking now. What can u do other then a external trans cooler?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

hoffmanestates 04-28-2013 06:17 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/29/2anuhara.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/29/8eserene.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/29/udu4avaq.jpg

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Trav1s 04-28-2013 06:20 PM

Re: New radiator and trans fittings leaking
 
From the pics I would guess it is not threaded on correctly. Did it cross-thread?

xJoshxx 04-28-2013 07:26 PM

Re: New radiator and trans fittings leaking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav1s (Post 813328)
From the pics I would guess it is not threaded on correctly. Did it cross-thread?

Did you add any pipe dope or tape?

also did you tighten that large nut on the washer radiator. or loosen it when attaching the transline This happened to me when i changed mine out.

hoffmanestates 04-28-2013 09:26 PM

No tape/dope, no cross threading, on as tight as possible. Tomorrow i take lines off, brass adapter off, really tighten the bulkhead fitting,apply tape and screw all back together. If that fails, external trans cooler it is.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

JeepMe 04-29-2013 07:43 PM

Re: New radiator and trans fittings leaking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 813465)
No tape/dope, no cross threading, on as tight as possible. Tomorrow i take lines off, brass adapter off, really tighten the bulkhead fitting,apply tape and screw all back together. If that fails, external trans cooler it is.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

I replaced my radiator and the EXACT same thing happened. The problem is that the male threaded adapter is brass and the female part isn't brass (at least mine wasn't), I'm guessing it's some sort of steel. Now, lets first disregard the issue of brass on steel creates galvanic corrosion. The problem is that a brass/steel fitting will never seal (you really need brass/brass to seal). Once you think about that, it's pretty obvious why it's leaking. Pull the adapter out, put on a couple layers of Teflon tape, and screw it back in as tight as possible. After that, you should be good.

hoffmanestates 04-30-2013 07:25 AM

I called vista pro and he was stumped, he never heard of this complaint. So i did the tape, no help removed cleaned retaped and used pipe dope, got it so tight tbe bulk head started turning installed trans line, no leak sweet! Now the bottom one was a pita, i started at 4:30 walked inside house at 9. Took that long for the bottom :mad: it be nice they made a adapter with o-ring kind of like the OEM. Now i am happy, running a steady 200 on freeway and trans shifts smoother, vs. 204 freeway. And i also replaced water pump with an acdelco metal impeller

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

xJoshxx 04-30-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 814515)
I called vista pro and he was stumped, he never heard of this complaint. So i did the tape, no help removed cleaned retaped and used pipe dope, got it so tight tbe bulk head started turning installed trans line, no leak sweet! Now the bottom one was a pita, i started at 4:30 walked inside house at 9. Took that long for the bottom :mad: it be nice they made a adapter with o-ring kind of like the OEM. Now i am happy, running a steady 200 on freeway and trans shifts smoother, vs. 204 freeway. And i also replaced water pump with an acdelco metal impeller

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Pipe dope ftw

JeepMe 04-30-2013 03:13 PM

Re: New radiator and trans fittings leaking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 814515)
I called vista pro and he was stumped, he never heard of this complaint. So i did the tape, no help removed cleaned retaped and used pipe dope, got it so tight tbe bulk head started turning installed trans line, no leak sweet! Now the bottom one was a pita, i started at 4:30 walked inside house at 9. Took that long for the bottom :mad: it be nice they made a adapter with o-ring kind of like the OEM. Now i am happy, running a steady 200 on freeway and trans shifts smoother, vs. 204 freeway. And i also replaced water pump with an acdelco metal impeller

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

The bottom one is a complete PITA. From having to drain the radiator to get the hose out of the way to only being able to turn the wrench a SMALL amount each time.

I installed mine for the first time and it leaked. Then I removed it (required draining radiator) and used the last of my Teflon tape (1.5 turns) and it still leaked a little bit. Not wanting to get back under, drain radiator, and slowely turn the nut; I ghetto rigged it and put RTV all over the threads and it hasn't leaked in months. At some point this spring I'm going to get under there and fix it the right way.

hoffmanestates 04-30-2013 06:34 PM

Mine is seeping, but ill top of trans every so often

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

kgingerich 05-02-2013 07:35 PM

Re: New radiator and trans fittings leaking
 
Do 4.0 Laredo models without tow hitch/external factory tranny cooler have that transmission cooler line? If not will new radiator just come with a plug for that opening? Might be a dumb question sorry, think my rad is ready for a swap and was curious if I had any such transmission cooler line. Mine does not have a hitch nor does it have the external cooler. Thanks for any replies!

Frango100 05-02-2013 09:10 PM

Re: New radiator and trans fittings leaking
 
Yes, the basic transmission fluid cooler for the 42RE transmission is also in the radiator.
I installed a Spectra Premium in my jeep ( 4.7) (which is a bit different then for the 4.0), and im quite satisfied with it. Rockauto.com has it for $ 110.79 (for the 4.0).
Just look for a discount code on google or so to get some $$ off.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community