Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   Anyone else getting wheel corrosion? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/anyone-else-getting-wheel-corrosion-59163.html)

Schleprock 04-28-2013 06:12 PM

Anyone else getting wheel corrosion?

Front wheels are gradually corroding from the brake dust. It's getting worse and worse each time I wash the truck (which is about every 2 weeks on average). It's still not that bad when you stand back, but when all cleaned up and near the wheel you can see the brown specks on the inside corners of the spokes. I have tried everything this past weekend to get rid of it, even bought some P21S gel wheel cleaner (big detailers will know what that is), that didn't even do anything. Tried multiple waxes/polishes/etc. The wheels actually feel "flat" to the touch, where as the rears still have that smooth, freshly painted feeling.

I detailed cars for 3 years at the end of high school and through JUCO, so I have seen a lot. I have never seen this type of brake dust corrosion/rust in a vehicle like this at 18,500 miles. I have even used the Armor All Wheel repellent spray about 5 times over the course of its 1yr 4mth life. I'm contemplating taking it to the dealer to see if they will warranty 2 wheels.

just went and took a pic with phone, almost every interior spoke corner is like this on the front.
http://i.imgur.com/ynoFwtE.jpg?1

hoffmanestates 04-28-2013 06:16 PM

I am

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Schleprock 04-28-2013 06:37 PM

Re: Anyone else getting wheel corrosion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 813324)
I am

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Do you plan to take it in?

SRT8BLK 04-28-2013 07:38 PM

You beat me. I just washed car today and was going to post same issue. Only front and not the back. I washed it two to three times a month over the winter. Next time I bring jeep in I will ask if anything can be done.

Scottina06 04-28-2013 08:21 PM

My wifes lexus IS was the same way. Your gonna have to switch brake pads if you cant clean them almost daily. Which is ridiculous...I know.

Schleprock 04-28-2013 09:41 PM

I disagree. To expect owners of a $60k Jeep to be required to clean their wheels every other day or be subject to corroding wheels is ridiculous. The pads on these vehicles are performance pads, not track specific pads. Furthermore, if this were the case [cleaning], then you would expect it to be noted quite heavily and often in the owners manual, which it isn't. I'll switch my pads, I have them waiting, it's why I bought them, but that doesn't repair the wheels already ruined by whatever is going on with the stock pads and wheels.

In addition to my case to Jeep on this, I can show them I've owned the WK SRT8 Jeep for over 3 years and more miles, it has the same heavy dust pads AND polished wheels. No corrosion, pitting, etc.

Robert Palmer 04-28-2013 11:36 PM

GL on getting the wheels warrantied.

I was basically told to **** off.

My coating was flaking off.

Schleprock 04-29-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 813538)
GL on getting the wheels warrantied.

I was basically told to **** off.

My coating was flaking off.

I am expecting pushback due to their cost. I feel this is unacceptable though so early in the game. A majority of vehicle owners are not like us here, and the corrosion will only be worse for them.

TotalInferno 04-29-2013 07:39 AM

What kind of pads do you need to switch to and what particularly is wrong with the oem ones?

Schleprock 04-29-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalInferno (Post 813686)
What kind of pads do you need to switch to and what particularly is wrong with the oem ones?

I believe Scott is referring to switching to a lower dust pad like a ceramic, and with lower dust you have a much lower chance of galvanic corrosion. However, this should not be a requirement for SRT owners who cannot/do not want to wash their wheels every other day. These trucks are performance vehicles but also designed for daily use in mind. Washing constantly cannot be a requirement and if it was it should be repeatedly stated in owner docs of the potential outcome. Furthermore, I have had other more high performance vehicles with much more aggressive brakes that did not incur such issues. In short, having detailed in my life I know this issue happens, my problem is that it is occurring not even half way through its warranty instead of when you usually see it, 50-60k+ miles.

kbench55 04-29-2013 09:40 AM

I actually noticed a problem with my wheels this weekend as well. What I noticed is that it looks like the paint is bubbling on the wheels in some spots. It is actually on all 4 wheels.

TotalInferno 04-29-2013 12:38 PM

So then is this an issue with poor choice of finish on the wheels?