Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Aussie parts -availability and cost (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/aussie-parts-availability-and-cost-59187.html)

Erina 04-29-2013 05:45 AM

Aussie parts -availability and cost

A mechanic ( independent ) told me today he would love a JGC but only till the warranty expired. He says parts are always a long wait and high cost.

How about it all you Aussie members with a 4 year old WK - have you found parts to be hard to get and expensive?

Roachy 04-29-2013 07:11 AM

Re: Aussie parts -availability and cost

I have had jeeps for the last 15 odd years and have found that parts through the dealers are expensive (but no more than any other make of car - dealers are all a rip off). That said, I order from the US at considerably less cost and normally quicker delivery. Never had a problem and depending on the parts and if I have the time (or lack of) I have even had the local jeep service guys install for me.

allypally 04-29-2013 05:41 PM

I agree with Roachy. Parts via Jeep Aust or Mopar Aust can be extremely expensive and extremely slow to obtain. For example, set of headlights with HID over $5,000.
Windscreen, you could be waiting weeks for a replacement. Jeep Aust were supposed to have addressed the issue of part delivery last year when the regional parts depot was moved from Singapore to Melbourne, but there does not appear to be much of an improvement.
I think this issue requires serious consideration when contemplating a new Jeep purchase. Although the Jeep is considerably cheaper than say a Land Cruiser, you need to weigh up the "parts cost/availability" issues and work out if the Jeep is a viable alternative.
Touch wood, I have only had an issue with the DRL's melting, which requires the replacement of both headlights. Naturally, this is under warranty, and wont be an issue for MY14's which have a different DRL system. However, if I had to pay for those headlights, I would be reeling.

Erina 04-29-2013 05:51 PM

I must say the issue is causing oncern. 90k for a car that could be off the road waiting for parts is not good. But I don't know if Mercedes or BMW are any better

Got a couple of months to ponder while we wait for delivery. Hmm

ENFORCER 04-30-2013 12:07 AM

Erina, Jeep AU seem to be well aware of the problem and have moved to new offices with a massive 5000sqm warehouse. This was in response to the lack of parts. It seems that everything was a 6 week wait. It appears that this has dropped to 2 weeks.
Mind you if you are told that it will be 6 weeks, they will (or have to) provide you with a loan car. This is because 6 weeks would be deemed to be an unacceptable wait for parts that keep a car off the road under the new consumer laws. Several people here have been given loan vehicles for waits of about 2 weeks.
I would not be too concerned as we do not seem to have any serious problems that are keeping cars off the road.

Sydgun 05-05-2013 03:00 AM

Also spoke to a mechanic the other day and he raised the issue of parts unavailability when I mentioned the Jeep brand to him. Other than that he said that it was a beautiful drive.
So if one had to buy parts directly from overseas, would the dealership be happy to do the installation work without much fuss?

allypally 05-05-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydgun (Post 817238)
Also spoke to a mechanic the other day and he raised the issue of parts unavailability when I mentioned the Jeep brand to him. Other than that he said that it was a beautiful drive.
So if one had to buy parts directly from overseas, would the dealership be happy to do the installation work without much fuss?

Normally, I would doubt it. However, considering the dealers are also frustrated with parts availability, they may very well be sympathetic to your obtaining the parts for them.

Roachy 05-05-2013 06:43 AM

I have had the local dealer istalll parts I have supplied without any problems when I had my WJ. They still charged their excessive labour fees and they did make a point of saying that they obviously did not guarantee the parts etc.

GMWK2 05-06-2013 02:19 AM

When I had the idler pully break, my dealer and Jeep Aus refused to fit a part that I was planning on ordering from the USA myself, even though it was coming direct from Mopar and dispite Jeep Aus telling us there was a 5 week delay for them to get one into the country. In the end we took a pully off one of the dealer demonstrators.