Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Anyone sell just an intake tube? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/anyone-sell-just-an-intake-tube-59308.html)

nikon858 05-01-2013 10:37 AM

Anyone sell just an intake tube?

The factory airbox looks pretty good and appears to functional well also. I would just like to get rid of the huge box on the intake tube in front of the throttle body. I've done this before with piecing parts together but it doesn't look as smooth as a one piece tube.

Any suggestions?

myoung84 05-01-2013 10:52 AM

Re: Anyone sell just an intake tube?

I'm also interested. I have an LMI intake tube on my Ram and would love to have something similar to that for the Jeep.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...4/DSC01920.jpg

WK2 Rover 05-06-2013 08:35 AM

I replaced the stock tube on my Lexus with a part from a company called "Joe Z". It worked well in looks and to smooth the air flow into the engine.

Belto 05-25-2013 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This might help ur case.

Attachment 24215

padgett 05-27-2013 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this (for V6) ? I agree there is nothing wrong with the stock air cleaner boc and over the rad support inlet.

Keeping but ventilating/isolating the cam cover furnace retains the spacer pad that keeps the tubing off the cam phaser/wiring. Plastic is also less of a thermal conductor than metal.

The small box is left intact to keep the engine cover mount.

The problem is that a 3" dia 3' long tube is really too big for the V6 and even without the furnaces absorbes enough engine heat with coolant at 203F under 45 mph that you get a 20-25F rise.

To keep the IAT at an ideal 100F on a 90 F day, you need an insulated 2.25" tube, engine coolant under 200F, and a way to keep the air cleaner box cool.

The parts list was posted in an earlier thread but everything totals under a Benjamin (if you have a sawzall) & comes with a new IAT sensor.

Belto 05-28-2013 12:35 AM

^^ not sure why the rest of the extra plastic did not get cut off.. But i thin th OP still would like to keep the original tube just in case..

Also idk if i want to do a hacksaw job on a brand new 30k + vehicle...

padgett 05-28-2013 10:19 AM

Extra "hose" is $65-$75. Agree I would never touch the original (& hardest part of swap is R&R of the IAT sensor.

If you look at my posting in the other thread, the small box was kept for the engine cover mount and the furnace on the side had both ends opened up to vent (provides an air gap insulation from the exhaust heat) but was kept for the pad that is on the bottom and maintains clearance between the cam cover/wiring and the "hose".

Using the factory plastic tube provides a known geometry that has lower thermal conductivity than a metal tube and fits under the engine cover (I suspect the angling of the MOPAR CAI that makes fitting the cover difficult is to maintain that cam/wiring clearance).

All I wanted to do was to determine if a CAI would be of benefit in a hot climate so not particularly concerned about appearance (on the outside at least). Turns out at anything under about a 45 mph cruise, the sheer length (about three feet) in a hot engine compartment (would prefer to run coolant under 200F at 90F OAT but would require a faster opening thermostat which appears to be unobtainium, may just build one) results in about a 20-25F rise.

All is made necessary by the fact that the "hose" must wrap from the front driver's side of the engine to the rear passenger side where the throttle body is found. With an 8" tube like my Buicks, IAT is not an issue.

Bottom line, for a V6 you really want an insulated 2.5" tube (30% less surface area for heat transfer than stock but pleanty of flow for a 6500 rpm V6) and a 180-185F thermostat to keep the IAT under 100F in hot weather. Just be carefull not to rub the phaser wiring.