Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   Replacement Soft Tops (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/replacement-soft-tops-59345.html)

Lanrete 05-01-2013 10:15 PM

Replacement Soft Tops

I tried a search, but couldn't find anything. I need a new soft top for my 1998 Wrangler, the original is starting to fall apart and was cut during a break in... The Jeep is red with a tan top. JustForJeeps shows that MOPAR only makes a black soft top now. We have looked at several locally available retail tan tops and they are of shoddy quality. I feel the black soft top is ugly, and the tan is a much classier and true color. Does anyone have a recommendation for an OEM level (or better) tan/khaki soft top available for purchase, or will I need to go down the street to the upholstery/roofing company and have a custom one made?

Thanks!

Sh0rtBus 05-06-2013 12:24 PM

Re: Replacement Soft Tops

You might try Bestop and see if they make a khaki top for the TJ. I'd be willing to bet they do. And it's going to be at least OEM quality, if not better. My suggestion would be to get a Supertop NX if they make it in the color you want. Function like the factory soft top and maybe even a little better.

Looks like they make it in "spice" color, too. Click the link below.

Bestop

Lanrete 05-06-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus (Post 818044)
You might try Bestop and see if they make a khaki top for the TJ. I'd be willing to bet they do. And it's going to be at least OEM quality, if not better. My suggestion would be to get a Supertop NX if they make it in the color you want. Function like the factory soft top and maybe even a little better.

Looks like they make it in "spice" color, too. Click the link below.

Bestop

Thanks! I will check the, out.

Sh0rtBus 05-06-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanrete (Post 818138)
Thanks! I will check the, out.

They make great quality tops. I have the TrekTop NX on my 2011 JK Unlimited and after having it for a little over a year, sold my hardtop because I never used it anymore. Love my TrekTop NX!

Lanrete 05-06-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus (Post 818213)

They make great quality tops. I have the TrekTop NX on my 2011 JK Unlimited and after having it for a little over a year, sold my hardtop because I never used it anymore. Love my TrekTop NX!

It does look like the answer to my problem! Looks like I can buy it in town, which is doubly nice. Thanks again!

Sh0rtBus 05-07-2013 09:46 AM

Sure thing! Happy to help.

R/R scout 05-07-2013 09:53 AM

Just a little knowledge bomb for ya... Bestop has been and is the OE supplier for Jeep since the late 80s.

So their tops are exactly OE spec.

Sh0rtBus 05-07-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R/R scout (Post 818729)
Just a little knowledge bomb for ya... Bestop has been and is the OE supplier for Jeep since the late 80s.

So their tops are exactly OE spec.

Was going to say that myself, but wasn't 100% certain they still were. I know on the 13's they're using sail cloth now, though. Nice tops, too!

Lanrete 05-07-2013 10:25 AM

Thanks, they mentioned it in one of the videos, made me happy to hear that.

R/R scout 05-07-2013 12:06 PM

The new material is NOT sail cloth.

It's a twill material called stayfast / twillfast manufactured by Haartz.

It is a very nice material still but it's not sail cloth it's much nicer. Sail cloth is more a duck canvas folds nicer than the factory material and the Twill material is much nicer still.