Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   What's wrong with it? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/whats-wrong-with-it-59510.html)

sportyjo 05-05-2013 05:43 PM

What's wrong with it?

Hi Everyone,

New to your site....I recently bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo after having a Liberty for several years. Anyway, over the last few months the Jeep has been randomly stalling when I am stopped at a stop light or waiting in traffic. It is as if someone just turned the key off. Everything dead. I turn the key and it fires back up, usually with the first try. Yesterday though for the first time I was getting on the highway getting up to speed (doing about 50) when it just died. I was still able to steer, thankfully, and managed to get pulled off to the side. There was a check gages light illuminated. I put the car in park turned the key to the off position then back on and it fired right up. Has anyone had the same problem? I am not mechanically inclined at all and I would like to get an idea what it might be before I go to a shop. It is doubtful that the problem could be replicated because it is so random. Please help. Any useful advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Sportyjo :confused:

Frango100 05-05-2013 06:19 PM

Re: What's wrong with it?

The check gauges light came on due to the low oil pressure. The check engine light didn't come on as well? Just to be sure if any fault code is set, do as follows: switch ignition switch off/on three times and leave it in on at the third time. The odometer will show DONE when all ok, or a fault code. Let us know what you found. But it looks as a cam or crank sensor problem as a first thought.
Also good to know which engine you have. On the 4.0 problems as you described could.occur due to a cable loom which passes behind the cylinder head and.which could rub against a bolt, causing a short after the insulation was worn through.

sportyjo 05-05-2013 07:51 PM

I will try that the next time it happens and let you know if I get a code. Thanks.

Frango100 05-05-2013 09:07 PM

You donīt have to wait for a next time, the PCM should have saved the fault in its memory if there was any.

sportyjo 05-06-2013 03:10 PM

It happened twice on the way to work I got a fault code P0324? Do you know what that means?

StephenE 05-06-2013 06:30 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes

P0324 - Knock Control System Error

Frango100 05-06-2013 10:24 PM

So you have the 4.7 HO engine. There is a knock sensor on each cylinder block, which will retard the ignition as soon as a knock is detected. But this system will do nothing with the engine in idle. Also didnīt hear of a dieing engine due to a problem with the knock sensor(s) or circuits. Donīt say it isnīt, but wondering if this could be the real problem.