Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Servicing Handbook (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/servicing-handbook-59535.html)

Jeepaus 05-05-2013 11:40 PM

Servicing Handbook

Hi all, hope you all are enjoying your Jeeps! I started a thread a long while ago in regards to Jeep servicing in Brisbane and were amazed by the helpful responses from our fellow members here. Just thought to write this up again and see if I can get some more advises on this topic, particularly for all 3.6L owners out there. According to our servicing handbook, our spark plugs are needed for a replacement at 48,000 kms / 24 mths. However I was reading from another article that one of the main advances so to speak for the pentastar engine is the use of long life spark plugs which would run for 125,000 kms and more in order to reduce the maintenance costs. Is there any technical reason as to why we in Australia have to replace spark plugs in such an earlier stage? Also wondering if anyone made this inquiry to Jeep Chrysler? As I am very interested to know the reason behind as this very much disagrees to the purpose and the engineers who designed this engine thinking to save owners some bucks. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Swampy 05-06-2013 01:35 AM

Re: Servicing Handbook

Hi

The Australian Jeep Maintenance and Service Handbook is just a generic document to cover all Jeeps and is provided because Chryler Jeep Australia can't be bothered to provide a dedicated owners book for the Grand Cherokee.

So because they have saved a few bucks in books, they are now also allowing the dealers to over service our vehicles that most are paying exorbinant prices for.

WK2Jeeps has the plugs replaced at 150,000 kms. As they are likely Iridium type plugs then that sound about right. They are fairly expensive so I would follow that.

The best service reference that you can get is as follows.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Maintenance information and schedules

I love the Grand Cherokee, hate Chrysler Jeep Australia due to blatant incompetance and can't be stuffed attitude. If they read these forums, be aware, your reputation is spreading and will catch up with you eventually, as will the legal proceedings that are pending / in progress and the media fallout associated with that.

Jeepaus 05-06-2013 08:09 PM

Thanks and it is frustrating indeed to have vehicles over-serviced with no actual benefit and good reason. It is a waste of resources. I personally do not mind paying a bit more to have service done at the Jeep dealers. I am still having my other car of a different brand serviced at the dealers after warranty expired. However if the service items were not justifiable, it would eventually drive away loyal customers and do more harm than good to the Jeep dealers in the long run.

Swampy 05-06-2013 08:16 PM

I agree. Chrysler Jeep Australia's actions and lack thereof demonstrates that they do not consider repeat business or sales important and are focused purely on new customers.

Another example of over servicing is they have our auto trannies serviced at 50k, yet in the U.S, even with "Heavy" use, the are serviced at 96k. So, we are forced to over service at exorbitant prices. Effectively we are paying 4 times what should: 2 x servicing x double cost.

F500 05-08-2013 08:24 PM

Some time ago I asked NRMA's advice in regards to the incorrect service book and got the following answer:

"You do have the right to request the correct service schedule.
If you feel that the service schedule you have been given does not apply to your vehicle or that Jeep are holding information from you in order to unfairly raise the prices of their services you should contact the ACCC."

But who have the time and energy to start a case? And that is why they get away with overservicing and overcharging. Mind you, the dealers don't follow the incorrect service book, at least they did not on my vehicle, but my dealer won't tell me what they actually follow (so I tried another dealer that were no better).

Jeepaus 05-09-2013 01:20 AM

Hate the mess and be careful that some dealers might still be over charging even without following the service book. I got caught at 24k/12mth service for around $500 with schedule asking for a new engine air filter. You would think that the cost includes the change of air filter. Wrong, no air filter replaced. Ever since then, I will be asking for all the service items when the dealers quote. It seems that they are now strictly following the service book as I was quoted 36k/18mth for around $750 (change front and rear diff oils) and 48k/24mth for around $1000 (replace engine spark plugs). All of these extra items are rather unnecessary at its early stage (correct me if I am wrong as I am happy to know). Also since the dealer did not replace my engine air filter at 24k/12mth, and with the next air filter replacement scheduled for the 3rd year mark. I will need to replace this myself in order to stick with the U.S.guidelines at 48k/24mth. It is like start buttoning your shirt in the wrong hole and the rest... all wrong.

Swampy 05-09-2013 09:29 PM

So, for $500 you got an oil & filter change, plus rotate tyres (if you're lucky). I would insist that they fit the air filter for no extra cost, because for $500, it should be included. Plus if the service schedule says that was required, then that should be included as part of the quote.

F500 05-12-2013 01:13 AM

I believe this http://www.wk2jeeps.com/misc/mainten...2_Mid_East.pdf is the correct service schedule for the 3.6l GC in Australia. The schedule is exactly identical for the 3.6l in Europe, China and The Middle East. I see no reason for it to be different in Australia. The spark plugs are scheduled to last 144,000 km. Diff and transfer case fluid to be inspected first time after 2 years or 48,000 km (normal use).

Jeepaus 05-12-2013 09:10 PM

Great advice guys!

BobT 05-13-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F500 (Post 821660)
I believe this http://www.wk2jeeps.com/misc/mainten...2_Mid_East.pdf is the correct service schedule for the 3.6l GC in Australia. The schedule is exactly identical for the 3.6l in Europe, China and The Middle East. I see no reason for it to be different in Australia. The spark plugs are scheduled to last 144,000 km. Diff and transfer case fluid to be inspected first time after 2 years or 48,000 km (normal use).

Any chance of getting a schedule for the CRD?

F500 05-16-2013 11:41 PM

Bob

Try this one http://www.wk2jeeps.com/misc/mainten...wk2_europe.pdf bottom part.