Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dual Exhaust Just for Show? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dual-exhaust-just-for-show-59546.html)

john150 05-06-2013 05:01 AM

Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
Given that the availability of the dual exhaust is dependant upon trim level rather than engine choice, I have a question. Is there any performance enhancement with dual exhaust or is it entirely a cosmetic option? For example will a V-6 Limited with dual exhaust perform any differently than the V-6 Laredo with the single exhaust?

peckmv 05-06-2013 05:56 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by john150 (Post 817831)
Given that the availability of the dual exhaust is dependant upon trim level rather than engine choice, I have a question. Is there any performance enhancement with dual exhaust or is it entirely a cosmetic option? For example will a V-6 Limited with dual exhaust perform any differently than the V-6 Laredo with the single exhaust?

The dual exhaust is not dependent on the trim level. It depends on the engine. V-6 gets single and V-8 gets dual.;)

f1anatic 05-06-2013 05:57 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
I suspect it to be a "premium" feature without any benefits. The nominal horsepower / torque numbers do not change between 3.6 L V6 trims. I would have preferred the single exhaust - less weight to haul around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 817843)
The dual exhaust is not dependent on the trim level. It depends on the engine. V-6 gets single and V-8 gets dual.;)

The 2014s Limited and above trims get dual exhaust irrespective of the engine.

peckmv 05-06-2013 06:06 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 817845)
I suspect it to be a "premium" feature without any benefits. The nominal horsepower / torque numbers do not change between 3.6 L V6 trims. I would have preferred the single exhaust - less weight to haul around.



The 2014s Limited and above trims get dual exhaust irrespective of the engine.

Thanks for the heads up. Not a big fan of the new version of the JGC. Not sure why they would put dual exhaust on the V-6 because the benefit would be zip. Cosmetics I guess.

GCLimited 05-06-2013 06:26 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 817847)

Thanks for the heads up. Not a big fan of the new version of the JGC. Not sure why they would put dual exhaust on the V-6 because the benefit would be zip. Cosmetics I guess.

How do you know this? Have you dyno'ed a V6 with a single exhaust, then again with the dual exhaust?

I for one am happy my 2014 V6 has dual exhaust.

AAAA 05-06-2013 06:54 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
While we are on the subject... what is the advantage of the trapezoidal tail pipe tips over the round ones. It is a feature only on premium MY14's?

bigpappy33 05-06-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 817857)
While we are on the subject... what is the advantage of the trapezoidal tail pipe tips over the round ones. It is a feature only on premium MY14's?

It's only available on the Summit and is purely cosmetic.

f1anatic 05-06-2013 07:12 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 817853)
How do you know this? Have you dyno'ed a V6 with a single exhaust, then again with the dual exhaust?

I for one am happy my 2014 V6 has dual exhaust.

Did the manufacturer's published numbers change between 2013 and 2014 ? As those numbers are engine only...not wheel hp/tq that would be affected by transmission.

GCLimited 05-06-2013 09:08 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 817863)

Did the manufacturer's published numbers change between 2013 and 2014 ? As those numbers are engine only...not wheel hp/tq that would be affected by transmission.

You are asking the wrong person.

I'm not the one railing against the V6 dual exhaust for the 2014 Limited and above.

:D

doulos4JC 05-06-2013 09:13 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 817853)
How do you know this? Have you dyno'ed a V6 with a single exhaust, then again with the dual exhaust?

I for one am happy my 2014 V6 has dual exhaust.

Cosmetic only. With all the built in restrictions any HP gains OR losses would be minimal at best.

neiltb 05-06-2013 11:35 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
cosmetic/bean counting. easier to have 1 rear valence, rear exhaust section than designing/manufacturing/transporting/storing/distributing 2 sets of parts per trim level.

peckmv 05-06-2013 12:23 PM

Re: Dual Exhaust Just for Show?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 817853)
How do you know this? Have you dyno'ed a V6 with a single exhaust, then again with the dual exhaust?

I for one am happy my 2014 V6 has dual exhaust.

Settle down there Haus. I am not bashing the V-6. All I said was that I was not sure why they would do that. The torque and HP didn't change between the 13's and the 14's. Thats why I said "I guess its cosmetic" Just an opinion. I guess if your happy with your V-6, then thats all that really counts.;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community