Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Transmission cooler hoses (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/transmission-cooler-hoses-59582.html)

s20dbond 05-06-2013 03:51 PM

Transmission cooler hoses

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I just got an 05 WK limited 4X4 with the 4.7, and the rubber/ metal transmission cooler lines are leaking some at the rubber metal crimp. Is this a common problem, and are they hard to change. I did a search, but maybe I'm just slow.

Doug

dr.lee.baugh 05-06-2013 04:56 PM

Re: Transmission cooler hoses

yes and yes. It's a common problem and a p.i.t.a. to replace.

Those half metal/half rubber hoses are tough to route where they need to go and most places charge a couple of hours labor to repair them. The hoses themselves are about $60, but you are likely looking at a couple hundred to replace them.

Others have fixed this issue by buying the new hoses, cutting them below the crimp and then clamping them onto the old hose (using hose clamps and a smaller diameter tube between the two). This allows you to replace the metal crimp that's leaking without re-routing all of the lines.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-07-2013 12:15 AM

very common problem on the WK!

DannyVtCa 05-07-2013 11:19 AM

I did mine, but routed the lines up into position before I dropped the radiator back in during my rebuild. I'm thinking as long as you unbolt the radiator to get some wiggle room it can be done fairly easy, just give yourself a few hours and be patient.

s20dbond 05-07-2013 11:31 AM

Do they go all the way back to the transmission? Or is there a changeover to a full metal line somewhere by the engine?

Crashtown 05-11-2013 11:35 AM

Dealer replaced mine two years ago for $220. I have the 5.7 & upon eyeballing it, I decided that it was worth paying someone to do it. $65 x 2 for hoses that do change to a hardline under the passenger side of the engine toward the front, but they are a complete assembly from the cooler to the trans. Plus there is a weird disconnect tool for the tranny hookup. I have heard of some using a screwdriver, but wasn't up for it. No regrets.

dmsfun 05-12-2013 08:26 AM

Ditto on the above, mine went at about 38k and had the dealer replace them, now have 85K and so far so good.

bluethunderjeep 05-12-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 818291)
yes and yes. It's a common problem and a p.i.t.a. to replace.

Others have fixed this issue by buying the new hoses, cutting them below the crimp and then clamping them onto the old hose (using hose clamps and a smaller diameter tube between the two). This allows you to replace the metal crimp that's leaking without re-routing all of the lines.

I repaired mine as noted above over a year ago, and no leaks. Just make sure you use proper high pressure hose.
I cut out the section with the crimps and slid the hose over the metal tubing on each end, securing with two hose clamps on each end.

Dave