Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Opinions on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/opinions-on-59587.html)

Thewagen 05-06-2013 06:36 PM

Opinions on

Intakes
Catch cans
Exhausts

Let me know what you have how you like it and what made you chose said part over the others bt, k&n, airaid ext.

Shafer57 05-06-2013 10:46 PM

Re: Opinions on

K&N CAI. Always digged K&N products. Nice sound to it
Billet Technology CC- Made in the states by a small business. And a quality product.
Magnaflow Cat-Back- Nice tone on the Hemi with no drone.

For the record, if you're looking for a noticeable gain in HP/TQ you need to invest in a handheld tuner first. I have the Diablosport and that alone helped a bunch.

Thewagen 05-07-2013 06:36 AM

In bouncing between a diablo and bully dog. I've owned k&n for just about every car I've had I jus see a lot of airaid stuff for the hemi so I figured I would ask. Never own a bt catch can had a different brand at one point but I see a lot of bt and ee for the hemi's so again I figured I would ask.

DannyVtCa 05-07-2013 11:13 AM

If I had it over to do again I would have not bought he kn intake. It is not a cold air intake. It does sound mean though. I wish I had spent the money on a ported throttlebody. Get an airaid intake tube and hook it up to your current box, drop in a high flow filter and call it finished.

jeepgcoman 05-07-2013 11:26 AM

At the end of the day it'll all be your choice, and you'll probably get the full spectrum of opinions on these forums......different strokes for different folks. I am sure all brands/models have their benefits.

Personally, for the intake on my 5.7, I modified a stock LX SRT-8 airbox to fit the WK (they're normally on opposite sides), added an additional intake source to the box and added a K and N filter. I used the stock SRT-8 intake tube. This has worked great for me. Be aware that the stock airbox is capable of flowing more air than the stock engine can use. If you want more cool noise, an aftermarket unit is a must. Some have used the stock airbox, a K and N or Truflow filter, and an Airaid intake tube. This would be my second choice to my modified unit.

As far as the catch can goes, you can use a tin can if you want. There are several good ones available but, like many others I chose the BT unit. I have them on both my Hemi vehicles. I believe Arrington and BBK also make units.

The exhaust is probably the area where you'll get the strongest opinions. The biggest concerns for most are noise levels and drone. It took me 3 tries to get mine to pass the "wife" test. I ended up with custom tubular headers, stock wire spun cats., and a 3 in. system consisting of a 12 inch glasspack (3 in. in/out), a Magnaflow 14589 (3 in. in/out) muffler, and an Xlerator AP XS1229 (3 in. in/out) muffler in the resonator position. This setup makes it semi quiet at idle and low speeds, no drone at any speed, and a very assertive "Hemi growl" at WOT.

As said above, you probably should start with a good tuner before tackling the other stuff. I have both the Superchips and Diablosport tuners, and they both have their advantages. Most of the time I use the Superchips with the Advanced Transmission Tuning Application, as it allows me to set the transmission up/down shift schedules and torque management (shift firmness) any way I want. If properly set up, you can eliminate almost all of the issues most encounter with the crappy 545RFE transmission. The Diablosport delivers better performance and fuel economy (slightly), but does not give you full control over the transmission like the SC tuner does.

Thewagen 05-07-2013 11:54 AM

Thank you for that break down man. Exhaust would definitely have to pass the "wife" test lol. And I'm pretty sure on the route I'm going to take with the intake catch can on the fence and the tuner is going to be my next purchase so I'm really debating hard on that one. I've heard positive things with all the tuners and I've also heard some slightly negative. Doesn't seem as though any one has anything to say about bully dog just diablo and sc. Hands down the best for our setup (5.7l hemi) or just what everyone sticks to. Maybe I'll be the odd man out and try the bully Dog. Awesome feedback would love to have it keep on going!

Disclaimer: sorry if I don't make sense on some of these posts. I'm off today so I'm making beer while drinking home made beer lol

jeepgcoman 05-08-2013 10:11 PM

Just my 2 cents worth, but I think your best bet is to get on all the tuner web sites and see what features each has. I took a quick look at Bully Dog and it doesn't look like it gives you too many tuning options, and the one it gives doesn't tell you what it does, or if you have any adjustment variables/options. I've never heard of anyone running a Bully Dog on a WK. They're also outrageously priced for what they give you, IMO. I get 10 times more features between the SC and/or DS tuners and my DashHawk.

Thewagen 05-09-2013 06:09 AM

Think I'm going to go with SC tuner. Read a lot if good things about it and it seems very customizable.

dmsfun 05-09-2013 10:44 AM

Diablosport intune has all the advanced trans tune and is far better than predator, has great data logging, and runs CMR 87, 91 and 93 OCT. Intake and exhaust are a waste of money, as I found out. After a tuner, and Catch can get a 85 mm ported TB and you will love all the low to high RMP torque improvements. the stock 5.7 is a total dog that just makes tons more noise with an intake and exhaust, so went back to stock with the above mods and it drives like a dream.

Thewagen 05-09-2013 11:29 AM

Thanks for that input!

jeepgcoman 05-10-2013 10:57 AM

Dmsfun, are you saying the in DS Intune has full control over all forward gear up and downshift schedules, as well as full control over all upshift torque management for light and wide open throttle? I thought it was just in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd upshifts (which my DS Predator has), with no control over torque management. If it does indeed give full control like the SC, I may have to look into it as, except for the trans. control, I prefer the DS tuner myself.

Thewagen 05-10-2013 09:25 PM

Picked up a new/used sc programmer worked out well the guy that had my jeep before me had it and forgot about it so asked me if I wanted it. WIN