Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   transmission problem on a 02 grand cherokee overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/transmission-problem-on-a-02-grand-cherokee-overland-59590.html)

reavis 05-06-2013 06:45 PM

transmission problem on a 02 grand cherokee overland

I have a 02 jeep grand Cherokee overland with a 4.7 ho I was driving and everthing was fine pulled up to a stop sign went to take off transmission would not pull in any gear forward reverse nothing fluid is full and clean not discolored any ideas what the problem may be or where to start. I never had any issues no warning signs it just quit

Frango100 05-06-2013 07:00 PM

Re: transmission problem on a 02 grand cherokee overland

Could be a disconnected inlet filter or pump problem. Was the fluid changed lately? No check engine light on?

reavis 05-06-2013 08:35 PM

yes the fluid was recently changed and there is a check engine light on had a cylinder 7 misfire changed cool and plug still had miss I haven't checked codes since trans quit yesterday

Frango100 05-06-2013 08:48 PM

So then first thing to do is checking if the oval inlet filter is detached or not. When installing this filter in the oil pump inlet, with the seal installed on the filter neck, it has a good change of getting loose again and the pump will only suck air. Depending on how long it was running like this (with the filter detached), severe transmission damage could result.
So have a look in there and be sure that the oval filter seal will be installed first in the oil pump inlet (with the help of the butt end of a hammer or alike) and that then the filter neck will be inserted in the seal.

reavis 05-06-2013 08:56 PM

ok thanks for the information I will check that out tomorrow night when I get off work and ill bring home the scanner also

Frango100 05-07-2013 02:04 PM

By doing the key dance you probably pull a P0700 code, telling that the TCM has set a code. Don't know which type of scanner you will be using, if it will show you the TCM fault codes. I can imagine that it will throw you a P0731 (gear ratio in first gear) code. let us know what you find.

reavis 05-08-2013 11:07 PM

frango100 you was 100% right it was the inlet had fell out of the case got one from local mopar dealer today and just got it installed trans work great thanks again never would have dreamed of that

reavis 05-08-2013 11:14 PM

the scanner I used was just an elcheepo and it showed nothing other than the cylinder 7 misfire no trans code I have put a new coil and plug on that cylinder and checked the compression it ranges from 175 to 180 on all cylinder cylinder 7 included it is getting injecter pulse so I guesse my next thing is to put a new fuel injector in that cylinder or do you have a different idea thanks again for ur help I was planning a transmission overhaul hopefully that wont be an issue now

Frango100 05-09-2013 06:43 AM

Do you feel that there is a real misfire (irregular idle and/or more vibration then normal)?
You could eventually swap the #7 injector with an other position. If the fault follows thereafter, you know that the injector is the problem. Did you check the connector on the injector?
Did you see any different color or anything different at the #7 plug?

TACFIRE325 05-11-2013 09:11 PM

Frango... You rule dude! I'm on here all the time & I see you helping everyone!! Myself included. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge & time with us... & helping us to save some dough along the way...