Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   New 2014 Question - Locking car sound - honk or nothing? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/new-2014-question-locking-car-sound-honk-or-nothing-59629.html)

not_too_shabby 05-07-2013 12:51 PM

New 2014 Question - Locking car sound - honk or nothing?

Is there a setting I missed to have something in between a full power honk or no sound at all when locking the car? A beep or reduced power honk would be preferred. Although you can hear the door lock actuator if it's not too noisy outside.

triker 05-07-2013 01:08 PM

Re: New 2014 Question - Locking car sound - honk or nothing?

I don't think there is anything like that. In my menu settings, I can have it either honk on lock or not honk at all. I don't see any way to control the amplitude of the sound. That would be an interesting feature. I doubt the electronics are there to provide some sort of pulse width modulation output to the horn to accomplish something like this, however.

not_too_shabby 05-07-2013 01:13 PM

That is what I saw as well. Just making sure I didn't miss the obvious. My VW did a low power honk, and the Mazda beeped. You would think they could use the same chime the tailgate uses as another option. The honk is too loud.

GCLimited 05-07-2013 01:50 PM

A horn beep when locking your car, even if it's muffled, is still obnoxious.

I have mine set to "flash" the headlights when I lock my vehicle, so as to not wake anyone when I come home late at night.

Copefree 05-07-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 818927)
I have mine set to "flash" the headlights when I lock my vehicle, so as to not wake anyone when I come home late at night.

Same here. I hate the honk. The other $50k vehicles out there have a cool chirp/chime sound when locking. Oh, but not Jeep, no.

PB617 05-07-2013 04:29 PM

That's the first setting i changed on my jeep. The lock/unlock honk is obnoxiously loud especially since jeep uses two horns. I was king of surprised to see that since every other car i've owned had one.

My FJ had one and factory wired for a second horn which i added...sometimes you need it!

Specx 05-07-2013 04:44 PM

I hate the beep I hear on most Toyota's and turned off the honk when locking and remote starting. I don't need to draw any attention to myself and the vehicle that I'm locking it and leaving it unattended and the lights flashing is enough notification for me.

BobsWK2 05-07-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PB617 (Post 819028)
That's the first setting i changed on my jeep. The lock/unlock honk is obnoxiously loud especially since jeep uses two horns. I was king of surprised to see that since every other car i've owned had one.

My FJ had one and factory wired for a second horn which i added...sometimes you need it!

That's true. At least Jeep still installs 2 separate horns (high and low note) on the WK2. As you said, many mfg's install only 1 horn with a very weak sound. But don't let Jeep know we like having 2 horns because the bean counters will eliminate 1 of them.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I used the horn. Had to be when I had the 2012 WK2 six weeks ago.

Jim_in_PA 05-08-2013 05:23 PM

While I prefer having the sound (so I know I actually locked it...) I'd much prefer a more, um...subtle...tone...than the full force of the vehicle horn! I feel bad when I'm parking later at night when some folks might be sleeping, especially during the warmer months when windows may be open.