Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Can I fix this myself? Door lock (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/can-i-fix-this-myself-door-lock-59739.html)

Dabitz 05-09-2013 09:42 AM

Can I fix this myself? Door lock

The rear lock on the driver's side (2011 / 48K )will not lock / unlock automatically. It kind of shakes in place but won't go up and down. Is this an easy fix I can try myself? I have an extended warranty but I hate the hassle of having to take it to the dealership. It does work manually.

Could this have something to do with disconnecting the battery for about 2 hrs when I installed my SRT headlights? It started happening after that.

Any advice?

ChrisOC 05-09-2013 11:28 PM

Re: Can I fix this myself? Door lock

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 820181)
The rear lock on the driver's side (2011 / 48K )will not lock / unlock automatically. It kind of shakes in place but won't go up and down. Is this an easy fix I can try myself? I have an extended warranty but I hate the hassle of having to take it to the dealership. It does work manually.

Could this have something to do with disconnecting the battery for about 2 hrs when I installed my SRT headlights? It started happening after that.

Any advice?

Sounds like the gears in your actuator (?) are stripped. If you have the right tools you should be able to do it. I had to do it on an 98 ford a few years back, but the space is tight. I don't know about the space / working area in the jeep, but I would just let them take care if it. It's kind of a pain in the ass (well fords was).

Ratchet 05-10-2013 06:30 AM

X2 on a failed actuator. I had to replace the same one a while back. It's a bit more involved than most door lock actuators but not impossible by any means. Took me about 45 minutes to do the repair. If you aren't comfortable and are prone to breaking small plastic componets, let the dealer handle it.

Dabitz 05-10-2013 08:06 AM

Thanks guys, I'll take it in next week.

Shifty 05-10-2013 12:30 PM

I have the same problem with the rear driver's side door lock on my 2011 Grand Cherokee X and the dealer will be looking at it in two weeks when I go in for my 80,000 Km service. I have a 426 extended warranty which should cover the repair.

flyin_dutchman 05-10-2013 08:08 PM

Same problem here, 2011 Laredo X - on passenger side...
No extended warranty....
Ratchet - Where did you purchase actuator from? Happen to pic/document the relacement procedure, or is it standard?

Ratchet 05-12-2013 10:24 AM

Dutch, I went with an OEM part from my dealer. I did not document the procedure. It's not a terrible part to replace, but can be a little cramped accessing a few of the actuator bolts.

Dabitz 05-13-2013 08:42 AM

Now that I think about it, I had the paint-less dent repair guy work on that door, I wonder if he broke or disconnected something by accident. I'm gonna have to remove the door panel and check.

Red G8R 05-13-2013 09:58 AM

My driver's door lock was sticking and after using some WD40 on it, it just loosened up and working fine now.

Dabitz 05-13-2013 11:01 AM

Thanks Peter, I'm gonna try that. Did you take the indoor panel off or just sprayed from the top?

Red G8R 05-14-2013 01:08 PM

I just sprayed from the top, locked/unlocked a few times and now its working like new.

wta0002 05-14-2013 11:09 PM

If your still having trouble. I had to have my side window replaced after someone tried to break in my window. I watched the window tech change out my window. they had to remove the door panel. Easy enough to do if you have the plastic pry tool. you may have to replace some of the fasteners. If you buy the part you can certainly save hundreds on labor. Easy swap and replace.