Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Turn off the lighted panel on Radio without turning off the music? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/turn-off-the-lighted-panel-on-radio-without-turning-off-the-music-59767.html)

Satanta 05-09-2013 06:18 PM

Turn off the lighted panel on Radio without turning off the music?

'07 WK with the CD/GPS/Radio/Satellite and apparently video in there somewhere.

Drove it home from the dealership and got caught out after dark.

I've got some vision issues and am extremely night-blind and the stupid lighted panel was on the whole drive.

Choices-turn off the CD [[Not happenin', had some Boston going]] or deal.

I dealt but there *has* to be a way to turn off that panel without killing the Tunes..?

I could Gorilla Tape it over but I think that would piss off the wifey. :lol:

dr.lee.baugh 05-09-2013 09:43 PM

Re: Turn off the lighted panel on Radio without turning off the music?

The radio lights should dim with the rest of the instrument cluster - use the inner ring on the turn stalk to lower the light level.
Not sure if it goes completely off or not, but it certainly should go to a level that it is not obtrusive, even to someone with a sensitivity.

Satanta 05-09-2013 09:50 PM

dr. lee., I'll give that a try-never occured to me-it was a bright as a tv showing a beach scene. Could not imagine that would be considered safe in any vehicle.

HemiDawg 05-10-2013 01:44 PM

This should dim it down to your liking. Don't think it totaly goes out, but almost to that point.

Satanta 05-10-2013 08:32 PM

Have not checked it yet. Generally I do not drive at night, last time I did so [[IIRC]] was around 1998 or so on my motorcycle. I'd hate to darken the instrument panel too much tho so I might have to just tape something over it at night. Bummer.

dr.lee.baugh 05-10-2013 08:55 PM

There is a big difference on the radio's display between the brightest setting and the next notch down (designed that way so you can turn it to a "max" brightness setting for if the sun is glaring right on it).

The radio will dim at a much greater rate than the instrument panel for that first click. Give it a try, I think it may still work for you.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-10-2013 11:45 PM

was it still on day mode? or was the backround black for night mode and still too bright?

Satanta 05-11-2013 12:03 AM

It was bright white with black lettering-same as use during the day so I'm guessing day mode.