Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f25/)
-   -   Molding removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f25/molding-removal-59795.html)

JeepFreak12 05-10-2013 09:36 AM

Molding removal

How easy is it to remove the chrome window molding (just below the window) also the front lower chrome piece on the front bumper? This is on a 2010 SRT8, thanks everyone.

SRTILL8 05-10-2013 10:49 AM

Re: Molding removal

im not sure on the window trim removal but from what i understand some people managed to get them off using a heatgun to heat up the glue/backing and then using a fishing line through the adhesive to remove them. they bend easily since theyre flimsy. the rear quarter panel most say it cant be done but other have successfully managed to remove it like so^ others say you need to get a whole new quarter-window... either way majority of owners usually have the window trim vinyl wrapped or masked off and painted.

the front strip will need a trim stick to remove it. it has 3 tabs one one each end and one towards the middle. it has one long piece of 3m tape beneath it approx 1"wide. you can use a heat gun and fishing line method here as well. just start on the corner and work your self across carefully.

:sleepy:

JeepFreak12 05-10-2013 11:54 AM

I read on another forum about the front and rear doors are held on by clips but do i need to remove the front mirror to get it off? And most people that i read use the heat gun and fishing line to remover the rear piece. I'm planning to carbon fiber wrap the window trim pieces and it would be easier with them off the jeep.

SRTILL8 05-10-2013 12:20 PM

ive never heard of the window trim/sill pieces having clips or removing the side mirrors... just double sided tape holding them there. The only molding which are held in by clips are the lower door moldings and rear chrome strip on the rear bumper.

i had mine wrapped while still on the jeep, a lot have done the same. But i understand why you want to but if done properly it will look the same as if you removed first.

gl-

DAVY27 05-10-2013 12:21 PM

moldings--you can use a trim stick or a flathead and pry em off. It's held on by a few clips and some 3m tape.

for the window trim--IIRC you can also pry em off near the end and pull upwards. I will double check today, im planning to wrap that in gloss black vinyl as well

JeepFreak12 05-10-2013 01:04 PM

Do you by chance know how the front bumper lower piece comes off? It looks to me like its just 3M holding it on.

SRTILL8 05-10-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 820881)
Do you by chance know how the front bumper lower piece comes off? It looks to me like its just 3M holding it on.

i answered this in my first post (second part) :thumbsup:

:sleepy:

JeepFreak12 05-10-2013 02:35 PM

Sorry I completely missed that!! I just tried to pull off the window pieces and they won't come off. I'm afraid to pull to hard and break them

Black Ops Auto Works 05-13-2013 03:45 PM

Back window Chrome only comes off grab on corner of Juts the Chrome with a Credit card and side it down under and across. (Warning the piece is Sharp you will cut yourself like a Blade with the back side of the Chrome)

All the doors come off by rolling down the windows and pulling straight up. You may have to get inside with a Trim stick if your scared their are a few places holding them on down inside the window so make sure you have the windows all the way down.

The from Che=rome comes off like Tilla said and same as the back Quarter window Chrome.

JeepFreak12 05-13-2013 03:54 PM

Thanks guys, ill try again tomorrow!

DAVY27 05-13-2013 09:54 PM

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...oLd/001-81.jpg

pop the tabs on each ends and pull up. Hope the pic helps.

JeepFreak12 05-14-2013 05:16 AM

Thanks for the picture Davy